Quantcast
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Elandsbaai climbs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:44 pm 

We are heading up to cederberg over easter, but roadtripping the westcoast the week before. Am keen to do some random climbs along the way too, so...

Elandsbaai: I went through my entire western cape climbs book and no info on Elandsbaai. So I wiki'd it and found an image of a few climbs there. The image seems to date back to 1999 and some of the climbs was opened there 1988. Some of the info is there but I have no idea what condition it is in. I may have big balls, but this sports climber can't use them as cams if the bolts are dodgy.

Are there anyone in that area or that's been recently that could perhaps give me some information and good advice on permits, conditions or any more information than the image.

I am of course more than happy to bring some bolts/mailons/..... or whatever and do some maintenance on these if they still get climbed and the money spent will not be rusting to waste...

Post subject: Re: Elandsbaai climbs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:07 am 

Hi Funguye

We climbed a lot of the lines on trad between 1989 and 1991. I have not been back since so I don't know whether they have been retrobolted. Try the MCSA journals around those years. I think I wrote up some of the better ones. The climbing is excellent on solid rock but people tend to go there more for the surfing!

Jeremy

Post subject: Re: Elandsbaai climbs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:56 pm 

I climbed there a few years back but everything we did or saw (and had RD's for) was trad. Some fun routes but the salty grittyness does add an adventurous feel to the rock. Great stopover spot especially when the waves are too small.