Quantcast
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Rory 2012 - results
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 pm 

Just saw that the Rory 2012 results are on the website - http://the-rory.co.za/results.html

Congrats to the winners Lazzie and Frans - highlight of their performance was both flashing/onsighting Dunce on Fire 7C+

Post subject: Re: Rory 2012 - results
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:16 am 

Well done to Laz and Frans, two great guys who have been working really hard on their climbing over the last three years and its really starting to show.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 am 

Love the way first place results state "to be confirmed"! At the time, the first place score was excessively high- in fact it was double that of second place if my memory serves me correctly..... just sayin'.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:32 pm 

I hate to be the guy questioning someone else's achievement, but those results are very suspicious.

With the exception of Arjan (and possibly Paul), no South African has ever flashed a 7C+ boulder problem. Let alone for two guys to do it at once. Is it not possible that they did Dunce (7A) and thought it was Dunce on Fire?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:41 am 

It's possible Robbie, but as you know, the 7A version is a high stand start (jump start for some) and the 7C+ version is a sit start. A couple of meters of climbing separate the two.

Apparently their team score of 53000 and something points is way high. Has there been any word from the organisers?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:00 pm 

Hi guys,

The Rory was a great event and everything was really cool. I hate controversy especially when it involves me. I just spoke to Lazzie regarding the scoring. There is no way I flashed a 7C+. If you focus on bouldering at the Rory you can compile a lot of points but something is not quite right. I know lazzie very well and all who know him knows that he is the nicest guy you can find. I won't question his integrity ever but we climbed hard and long and things were always rushed. Laz has been talking to the organisers and i hope we can resolve this soon.

I have to take flack because i should have verified everything to make sure we got it all right which we obviously didn't.

I told him to tell the organisers that there have been mistakes and the only way to resolve it is to forfeit first prize.

I would suggest that the scorecards need to be signed off by both climbers because anyone can make errors. It's unfortunate that this happened but I have to epmphasise that we had a good time and definitely had no ambition to inflate scores to win. Winning the competition wasn't on my mind and getting a score like that was shocking to say the least.

Francois

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:37 pm 

Francois wrote:
Hi guys,

The Rory was a great event and everything was really cool. I hate controversy especially when it involves me. I just spoke to Lazzie regarding the scoring. There is no way I flashed a 7C+. If you focus on bouldering at the Rory you can compile a lot of points but something is not quite right. I know lazzie very well and all who know him knows that he is the nicest guy you can find. I won't question his integrity ever but we climbed hard and long and things were always rushed. Laz has been talking to the organisers and i hope we can resolve this soon.

I have to take flack because i should have verified everything to make sure we got it all right which we obviously didn't.

I told him to tell the organisers that there have been mistakes and the only way to resolve it is to forfeit first prize.

I would suggest that the scorecards need to be signed off by both climbers because anyone can make errors. It's unfortunate that this happened but I have to epmphasise that we had a good time and definitely had no ambition to inflate scores to win. Winning the competition wasn't on my mind and getting a score like that was shocking to say the least.

Francois

Wow man, owning up like that takes some big balls. Respect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:35 pm 

Hi to all "The Rory" Challengers

Sadly, the organising committee have to announce a change to the final results of the challenge. The new winners of The Rory 2012 are Neil Mostert and Hermann Rabe. We belatedly congratulate them and their names will join our prestigious honours roll of past winners on the Rory Lowther Memorial Floating Trophy.

The committee has noted the competitive spirit of our top competing challengers and due to this pressure, sometimes mistakes do happen in the scoring. In future it will be compulsory that each team member checks and signs off their score sheets in front of the marshals.

In the fine spirit of the challenge, our original winners have conceded to mistakes been made by them and have voluntarily stepped down from the podium. We have acknowledged the ethical manner in which this has happened and are proud to say that may the "sport" of climbing be the winner.

In this spirit, we look forward to next year from the 1st to 3rd March 2013 with enthusiasm and lessons learnt. We would like to take this opportunity of thanking all who challenged and the rest of our large supporting family a hearty thank you for making "The Rory" the event it has annually become.

"The Rory" Organising Committee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:30 pm 

Hello all!

First off, I would again like to thank the organization for a great day.

That out of the way, I'd like to say that I feel my team deserves mention of our third place. with the 19,000 (and something) points we gathered by climbing out of the way routes and only going for onsights, it was apparently a strategy that worked. this can also be seen in the score of 2 moves = 1 move 2 many, as they were bouldering at long tonks, where we were climbing.

after the prize ceremony we talked to the organization, and a recount and double-check by both team and admin (forgot your name dude, but thanks again!) showed that we indeed had that amount of points. this is not about a prize (which we did get, above and beyond any expectation!), but I feel it is our just due.
I'm very proud of our result, as well as the flashes I made of spunky monkey and cleeroy. they are class problems, and I'm happy to have done them this way.

and I will e-mail some pictures we (well, my girlfriend) took, as promised.

thanks again, and hope to see you guys again!

ps: just to show we did get our trophies, here's a pic ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:03 pm 

Read the above posts - you actually got 2nd in the comp. Congrats :thumleft:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:28 pm 

you're right ;)

if you look at the result-page on the website, that's not what it says.. I guess the posted result isn't the updated version. ah well, one can only hope (that my friendly shoe-provider is impressed with that result.. hehe)