Quantcast
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Montagu farm for sale
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:50 am 

'The Farm' climbing area in Montagu is for sale. This is the farm where Hermie has been opening routes and was part of this years Montagu Rock Rally.

:arrow: Click here for details

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:25 pm 

I'm not a man of means but I truly hope a climber or a group of climbers buys that farm. Hopefully the climbers will outnumber the grouches in Montagu soon and we can have Bosch kloof back. I for one miss it even though I live in Joburg and haven't even touched Montagu rock since 2010.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:18 pm 

Tough one this, its a fair piece of mountain (consisting mainly of Fynbos). One would need to see how much climbing there actually is on the land. There are no structures on the property and an ablution block still needs to be built.

First place for us as mountain users would be a servitude to the mountain.

We all miss Bosch Kloof (believe me!). We (MCSA + Montagu locals) are going in for another round with the land owners. We'll inform everyone when we have an outcome (don't anyone start holding their breath just yet).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:21 pm 

I wish! Looks awesome!

Is it currently open for climbing? This weekend specifically?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:18 am 

Yes it is open, just make sure you call the farmer before you go please.
Enjoy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:32 pm 

Was there this weekend. The farmer is really nice and there are some awesome routes. One note though, Coffee B 4 Jam is SOOOOO not a 17. :lol: and it has also been bolted. On Sunday, while we were there, another route was bolted as well, on the face next to the Arete on 4. So make sure you get an updated topo from Jaco. I will scan the one we got and post as an update to the one here tomorrow. R10 per person entry.

Be patient when trying to get hold of Jaco, really nice guy, but bad reception up there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:58 am 

Hey Guys and Gals! It has been a long time since there has been activity on this thread so I just wanted to give it a bit of a bump 
Myself (Jason Hayden) and Jennifer Hsieh have bought "The Farm (http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Climbing_on_R62 - Our own website http://www.thefarmroute62.co.za/ is a work in progress) and are in the process of getting things up and running. We are both climbers, and are hoping to develop it as a climbing Farm.

The Farm is an amazing space and copious amounts more to explore. Hermie Venter and Tony Lourens have already put up over 20 great routes on it (both trad and sports), and we're inviting climbers to come put routes up on The Farm. There is a huge potential for climbs, and we'd really be glad for you guys to come through and get inspired to get at some new lines.

We understand that bolts and hangers are not cheap so it is because of this that we have decided to sponsor bolts, hangers, drill bits and a drill to use, for anyone who wants to put up new routes. One catch though..The climbs need to be grades 19 and under….This will obviously attract more climbers to The Farm.

There are a couple of things to note before we go wild on The Farm though.
1) The water in the kloof is drinking water for:
A) ourselves (as in the climbers who will be climbing there, and the climbers who will be staying in the backpackers that we are intending on putting up - in time),
B) the farmer of Witsand, who's gate we drive through to get in to the area, and
C) other people who come from town to collect water at The Farm.

Mess with that water, and we will have another Bosch kloof happening. Even if we own the farm, if climbers on our land don't respect the area, and make people (including ourselves) sick, we will be shut down.
So make sure that you, or anyone else, does not mess in the kloof.
Any litter or food left behind will damage the area and again, if anything happens with the water, the climbers will be blamed for it.
Be good people, and take everything you've brought up back down.

We will put in a toilet up there but, for that we will need approved plans, and various other logistics, which will take quite a while. In the meantime, please use the toilets at the cottages, which are only 15min walk from the main crag.

2) We can't be responsible for anyone's safety on the property. Climbing has inherent dangers which we all take upon ourselves when we step off the ground. Please take responsibility for yourselves.
We obviously want the bolts to be safe for everyone, and of course we will be climbing those routes ourselves, so safety is definitely a top priority for us. We will then need every climber on the routes to report bolts that are starting to look dodgy, and we can sort those out before they become hazardous. But we can only make sure bolts are secure if we know about them.

To climb at The Farm:
1. Email: thefarmroute62@gmail.com and tell us your name, surname, date you will be going and how many people will be going. This will help us keep track of the number of people climbing on our property.
2. At this stage there is no charge for climbing but we might be asking a small fee of R20 just to go towards the bolts and general maintenance of the path etc. or R100 for an annual membership.
3. Unfortunately, you can't stay on the property yet, since we have not built anything as yet, but there will be soon we hope!