Quantcast
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Climbing at Strubens
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:05 am 

Hi All

We are fairly new to climbing and would like to climb with some more experienced climbers at Strubens (or surrounds). We have our own equipment and can tie knots and all that stuff, but would like to get more experience climbing outside of the gym. Any takers?

Gunter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:05 pm 

Dont waste your time at Strubens. Go to MCSA (Mountain Club of SA) meets - every sunday in Magaliesberg. All the details etc available at www.mcsa.org.za. Click on the jhb section link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:00 pm 

Hi Hector

Thanks for the advice - I will take a look the Web site. Still though, we live around the corner from the crag so would still like to get some time in there.

Regards,

Post subject: Strubens
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:31 pm 

Yeah strubens is really bad, but for beginning its not that bad.

over the weekends especially sundays you can give me a call and arrange to meet in the afternoon (i have to work during the morning) and we can get you onto some better climbing once you're confident in all you doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:53 pm 

dude take hectors advice!! You will learn only so much at strubans, head out to Magalies on a meet. Try to organise someone to climb with in advance (e.g. on a wed night at the mcsa clubhouse), this will make things a bit easier for yourself. Ask lots of questions... You might bore a few guys but most will be willing help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:01 am 

Thanks for the advice. We have climbed at Strubens before and found it quite accessible and with some easy routes. Obviously getting out to Magalies would be preferable. We have also climbed trad at Magalies but would prefer to get skilled up on some bolted routes first.

I have contacted the MCSA with the view to come to one of the meets and get kicked off from there.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm 

I don't see what the problem with Strubens is, if it's around the corner from you then awesome! As \"Crags of Gauteng\" puts it, 'grading is from 5 to 25' and 'enjoy this as an open air training wall'. The only way to get better in climbing is to \"climb more\" and if strubens is around the corner then it beats going to an indoor gym in my humble opinion.

It also has some great bouldering, but there's no parking really for that section, and last time I checked they were building a house right in the way of the access point. So not sure how easy it is to get to the bouldering section these days. Anyone?

True, it doesn't compare to climbs that I've done in Cape Town, but still there is much fun to be had by all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:54 pm 

I’m not dishing Strubans as a climbing “venue” as there are some great climbs… I am dishing it because of the majority of people that go there do not display the best standard of climbing “codes”… by this I am referring to things like the way u clip yr quick draws, top roping through the U bolts, climbing with static lines!!! (I have seen this…) ropes lying in the dust and stepping on them… smoking at cracks littering… climbing blind-folded (for god sake…) need I go on???
The standard of climbing in the kloofs is a bit more technical hence the generally higher standard of “practice” Which is why you can learn a lot more from the people around u…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:20 pm 

Oh! Ok, guess I can pretty much agree with you there. When I first saw the guys climbing blindfolded I was speechless (what's the point?)

I can't stand seeing litter at the base of a crag, especially cigarette butts! Aaaaah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:17 pm 

I see what you are saying. Well I guess we would like to do both Strubens and Magalies. We will also be going to one of the MCSA Wednesday meetings soon and then take it from there.