Quantcast
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Fat Grades!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:59 pm 

So after climbing a couple of years i think i have reached a level of climbing that my natural talent and two days a week climbing allows, around the 7a on a good day. But all of this at just under 90kg and 186cm, so this got me thinking is 7a at 90kg, like 9a at 60kg or 8a at 70kg, and is it even, in biological terms, possible for a 90kg guy to climb 9a, can your tendons ever be that strong! So does anybody know of 'big' guys or woman climbing at the highest grades, except Sylvester Stalone :lol:

Post subject: Re: Fat Grades!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:53 pm 

Im sure Chris Shama weighs more than 60kgs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:14 pm 

On the Topic of fat climbers, how much do you weigh Alan Hills? :jocolor: jokes aside he has ticked a couple 30+ routes and surely weighs over 80kgs. Justin De Jong has always impressed me, I remembering him sending Paragon (30) when we was over 90kgs. no doubt someone will find a 100+kg person climbing 8a/8A someone in the world.

I think the point of this conversation is exactly the same as the height convo: make do with what you have, and change what you can.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:42 pm 

I think it comes down to how determined you are as an individual if you put the effort in and train smart you could most definitely climb hard grades.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:51 am 

Warren G wrote:
make do with what you have, and change what you can.

Very true indeed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:13 am 

being fat is an option.... im not saying weighing 90kgs means ur fat, im saying that loosing 10kgs isnt difficult:) ive seen a 110kg guy campus a 24 (7a), use what u have to ur advantage. Rather be tall and reach past 10grips a 1,5m person has to use:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:15 am 

John Dunne must have been tipping the scales at about 100kgs when he was at his peak, putting up new routes in the high 8s and E8 and 9 on grit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:22 am 

Hehe, I think it's an awesome idea to have fat grades! Tipping the scales at 84kg with a height of 183cm, according to the bmi scale I am overweight :) Personally, I think I'm just big boned.
That being said, I have done a few hard climbs and I don't think I've come anywhere close to my personal grade limit. You can always get better and climb harder.
The only real argument I have for being heavier putting you at a disadvantage is physics. On slopers, at a certain degree of slopiness, no matter how strong you are, a lighter person who is equally strong will be able to hang on where you will just slide off, but that is really just splitting hairs.
As Ebert and some others mentioned, climbing is a very dynamic sport in the sense that everyone can experience a route differently to the next. That's why I think there's a 30 out there for everyone (you just might not find it in South Africa though). I've seen girls doing hard sequences of moves on holds that I would barely dare put my feet on to do what a tall guy would do in one move. As long as you're having fun, then it shouldn't really be an issue.