Quantcast
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Spitzkoppe in Namibia?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:47 pm 

Hi guys,

Has anyone on here actually climbed this? Me and a friend are quite interested. I've heard stories of 14m leadouts :shock: :shock: :shock: - is this true? And is it worth going up there? How many routes are there and of what height, cause again...I've heard of Multi Pitch routes of like 400m of hard climbing, don't know how true it is :?

Could anyone maybe give me some more info on this?

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:54 pm 

Hey Zook, if you think driving 1hr... for a weekend to go and climb some of the most amazing trad routes around is too much llike hard work and more effort than what is required for a climbing trip; then how do you suppose you are going to endure the 20hr drive (if u lucky) to get to Spitz???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:44 am 

I think there is a clear difference between doing that now and then for the sake of a change of scenery and doing every weekend, don't you think :?:
I am also part of the Honda club and I'm more addicted to driving then you think, but the point in the previous thread was if I can stay somewhere, where my work and climbing is close that will be cool and I am more likely to get that in CT than in JHB I think...

What I am asking in this thread is if it is worth the travel? Cause if it sounds as amazing as I've heard I'll easily do it...(NOT every weekend though)

Hope this clears up any confusion :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:11 am 

Spitzkop is one of the most awesome spots in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:39 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol: lol
Now Marshall, providing our background I think I'll have to get a second opinion just this once if you don't mind...not in the mood to drive 20 hours to a 100m tall piece of rock in the middle of no where with a couple of 5+'s on it...lol

Could you maybe give me some more info...Have you climbed anything there? And can you backup some of those myths I heard (14m leadout and bla bla bla)?

BTW where's the nearest waterhole lol cause it looks like its pretty much in the middle of the desert!

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:29 pm 

Bad form dude! I think you have a serious chip on your shoulder young man...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:03 pm 

Scottnoy,

Please stick to the topic...if you have any personal comments can you please take it up with me in PM? Apologies if I misread anything in your thread...

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:12 pm 

Zook must be the reincarnation of Guest! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:01 pm 

Try get hold of the Spitzkoppe guide, there are a number of photo's and topo photo that should inspire you to take the trip up. Bring along some large water bottles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:32 pm 

LOL @ Jimmy...funny stuff man...

Anyway Stu you probably have the best idea there, I just have to track one down - Don't have a clue where to buy guide books in SA (will cross that bridge when I get there).
I've had a look on Google but by the looks of things there's no real site dedicated to it and the pics I found (although they are amzing shots) I don't think it does the place justice in how much climbing there is to be done...

Do you know if we are talking trad or sport Stu?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:31 pm 

hey zook just by the way I have had people tell me that Spitz is one of the best climbing venues in southern Africa....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:32 am 

There's a bit of both. Check out http://www.alardsbigwallclimbing.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:38 am 

Hey Zook,
this may help.
http://www.samountainmag.com/girls-rock/spitzkoppe.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:41 am 

Zook... You sound way too good for climbing in Southern Africa. I would not waste your time here at all.

Spitzkop is a bit bigger than Silvermine & most indoor gyms.

Post subject: spitskoppe
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:56 am 

hey there.
i lived in namibia and got to know spitskoppe quite well. awesome stuff, multi-pitch and sport, near the campsites and far away. runouts on the 'sugar loaf' can be up to about 7 metres( guessing ) on some great 18-22,s . there's a really cool 27 single pitch with my revenge written all over it. anyways, you could contact the namibian section of the mountain club of sa, cause it may be better to go with some of them. my old climbing partner, Echard Haber, wrote the guidebook on the spitskoppe, and he's got it all written down in there. i thought i saw a copy for sale at city rock or somewhere. and yes, its in the dessert. cold at night, hot during the day. water can be bought at the reserve entrance. its not bottled water, it comes from the local water source, but i survived it, and so can you... hehehe. i used to go with at least 50l for 3 days.one person. no need to dehidrate.
seesh, send my lovong regards to that awesome place.
j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:35 pm 

Hi Just back from spitzkoppe, and really enjoyed it. Worth the trip. The main route on the Spitzkop is a fun adventure. The walk in is just as much of an adventure as the actual climb. The grades on this are relativly easy, but be prepared for granite climbing. Very different to Sandstone!

THere are also good sport routes (all grades) around the campsite which vary from one to several pitches.

I can also recommend doing 'to bolt or not to bolt', a mixed route on pontok spittze. Just be warned that the guide book misses a pitch, this route is well bolted on the upper pitches and goes at '18'. you need trad gear for some of the pitches.

THere is a lot more to climb, get the book! the campsite is great, with a restaurant, and free water at the moment. The nearest town is also a short drive away (Namibia distances) about 70km.

Enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:22 pm 

Hell YA!!!! Finally some feedback!
Guys that sounds Brilliant...and definitely a trip I'm booking

Thanks for all the advice! Much appreciated

Think I'll just drive down there with a farm style watertank! :twisted:

Lelikegogga:

Looking forward to the 'sugar loaf'
8)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:42 pm 

Marshall wrote:
Zook... You sound way too good for climbing in Southern Africa. I would not waste your time here at all.

Spitzkop is a bit bigger than Silvermine & most indoor gyms.

:? :? :? :? :? Huh??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:04 pm 

I've also just got back from Spitz and it is really amazing. The routes are generally runout but they're not that scary. Its pretty much all slab climbing, so close bolts would be ridiculous. The harder routes generally are bolted a bit closer. When we were there it rained most of the time (yes it rains in the desert!) so all the cracks were wet. The crack climbs on SW wall look amazing. We did the SW wall Route which I wouldnt recommend unless you want a character building experience. The route has 200m of chimneys (which were wet), the crux (the true crux is the first pitch but this was a river, so we aided it) involves tricky face climbing for about 6m to the first bolt (at about 21). Theres another good bolt and then a big runout to an ancient stud bolt. There was then a nice big wet patch which got pretty interesting. There tons of climbing at Spitz, and many new routes waiting to be done.