Quantcast
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:58 pm 

Hi guys

What I will do is the following. The landowner told me to chat to the manager re access, and at that point it seemed that he was OK with us, just to clear it with his appointed 'manager', whom ive been dealing with.

I still have the contact details of the owner. He is a businessman who doesnt like to be hassled, but i think I have enough grounds to call him, and set up a meeting to put all the grienvences / concerns / hopes on the table, and explain the importance of the crag to the climbing community. ( maybe even offer to take him top-roping)

I suspect the manager hasnt actually even done anything, and thats why he's brushed me off. So let me go direct to the owner and have a heart to heart with him. Will report back.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:41 pm 

YES Jeff, Good luck! I hope you will be successful because that crag is so nice!
Holding thumbs. :thumleft:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 am 

Thermophage wrote:
No, I would not.
So he can read it.

Still thinking it's a good idea?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:05 am 

Yes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:31 am 

Thermophage wrote:
No, I would not.
But the fact is that we never did say anything like that about him, UNTIL after he decided to close it.

So he can read it. The story is over now from the information which has been provided to us, he has made up his mind completely. There is no more negotiating.
So yes, he is closed minded, presumptuous and hard-headed if he has not once been willing to meet anyone in person do discuss his concerns.

Do you really think it's worth burning your bridges like that though? It's not completely dead and gone until the crag is eroded into the sea. Until then there is still a chance the MCSA may be able to intervene, the property may change hands again etc. You could spoil this all by using a few choice words that could get his blood up.

And the Right to Roam and Countryside Rights of Way (CRoW) in the UK don't mean you can just go anywhere you want whenever you want and climb whatever you want. There are still restrictions that apply and landowners can deny access to a crag if they see fit, even in popular areas like the Peak;

See the red and yellow lights next to certain crags, especially Eagle Tor and the reasons why it is banned;

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/Sea ... -1&t=&r=32

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:41 am 

Guys, you have no idea how long this Wolwerevier debate has been going on. Already we have had the same discussions with at least two "owners" via a manager. The last one said he'd let us climb for something stupid like R150 per person per day...So how about no on that one.
I know of guys who climbed a while ago too who also had the same attitude from the owner.

The new one doesn't even appear to be open to entertaining the idea...or his manager is being an idiot by not conveying what we had asked.
I would have had much less issue with it had he been forthcoming and willing to meet/interact with the climbers directly and express his concerns.

Let him keep his land and people can just climb somewhere else.
When I lived there we explored some area's in the Langkloof, maybe 40min drive from George, with MUCH better rock and big walls...and best of all a FRIENDLY land owner who was willing to assist and let us explore a little.

So George, Southern Cape crew...let me know if you want another crag...ripe for development and I'll get you in touch with someone and you can forget about Wolwerevier and its issues.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:44 pm 

Hi Bud. Im in with you. I sent a direct mail to the new owner, bypassing the 'manager', and here is his reply, it arrived in my inbox an hour ago - ( The new owners are also the owners of tekkie Town)

Jeff,

I have now spend a lot of time on the farm and have investigated the
climbing area extensively. What I have found is that the people that used
the facility in the past have a total lack of respect for nature, as well as
for the farm. The amount of rubbish we had to clean, including human waste,
was shocking.

I have decided to allow only day visitors that is willing to pay a fee of
R250 for adults and R150 for children (indemnity forms has to be cleared in
advance). All reservations will be handled by Joe-Ann at 044-871 3524 and
depends on availibility.

Regards,

Michael Brown | General Manager | Tekkie Town (Pty) Ltd.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:49 pm 

I find it VERY hard to believe the place was wreaked.
The last time we were there it was immaculate and we left it so.
Anyone leaving behind trash from our climbing group gets a serious mouthful from the others so it's always clean.

P.M. me and I'll put you in touch with Sven regarding the crag in the Langkloof..It's also quartzite and the rocks are dipping sub-vertically...So there are some LOOOOONG vertical cracks n books/etc :)
You may have Sven's number already though ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:08 pm 

wow I have no idea who they let in there but none of the George people would leave the place a mess. Not ever.
Maybe there are river bergies....then he has bigger problems...lol.

I am with Cuan...we should let it go. It's not worth the fight and negativity. There are loads of places around there that can be bolted and developed properly.

wooooossaaaaaa :afro: -> this is funny cos my hair can totally do this on a good day...ROFL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:11 pm 

Faffy001 wrote:

wooooossaaaaaa :afro: -> this is funny cos my hair can totally do this on a good day...ROFL

it's true...I've seen it ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:54 pm 

Does this Wolwe chalette have a website address so we can see what a night-over will cost? If it is R1000 pp/pn kind of thing, then it truly means we have lost any chance to climb there again.

The only thing left is to see precisely what is muni land and what is owner land...
We Garden Routers need to find at least ONE decent crag where we can put up plenty routes (a mini Silver mine)...it will do a lot for climbing in the area...I have so many friends who are keen "learn the ropes"...but Montague is currently the closest spot where u get 14-20+ routes (for everyone) and obviously req planning and money each time...

:(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:00 pm 

Jacques...Speak to Sven. There are some really nice places in the Montagu pass that need some development. We've top-roped and traded some of them and it is right next to the river too...Perfect for summer.
Then just around the corner on the way to Uniondale is an INSANELY good place for new climbing...Makes the Steeple look TINY man and it is like 40min drive :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:07 pm 

Im glad to hear... :!:
Well please keep me in mind if you need some extra hands - I am eager to assist where I can, when I am in the country...

J

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:47 pm 

Hi Jacques. my mobile is 082 7981100. Ive moved here permanantly from CT and am keen to assist developing a local area. Maybe yourself, Sven, myself and any interested should meet for a beer and think about a way forward. Im keen.

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:17 pm 

I'm keen to explore and search for new crags in that area. I'll be there the whole of december.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:14 pm 

Hey,
I live near to the climb and have gotten permission to use the routes as often as I like as long as I organize things with Ronnie, the farm manager.
I'm busy buying equipment (bit of a noob) but I'm keen to go whenever possible.
My number's 0791005107
So if anyone's keen to climb and in the area, with a little notice I'll be there like a bear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:24 pm 

Yo dude get hold of Sven (https://m.facebook.com/spseeberger?__user=701660688) and
Brandon (https://m.facebook.com/branden.hair?__user=701660688) they should be keen and have ample experience :-D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:08 am 

Many thanks! amped to get started :thumleft:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:43 am 

Hey SillyBilly ~ this is great news - I stay in George and this is pretty much the only crag in the area and I use to frequent there until its closure. I am back home in early Dec and would be keen to join (with some friends)...

I have a FB page "Garden Route Climbing" - please join so we can keep in touch !
As well as any others...we are a nice group of friends who like to plan the occasional Climbing road trip...

Jacques

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:55 pm 

hey. I am staying in plett and would also like to climb wolwe some time. I searched for your site on fb Jacques but I couldn't find it. please let me know if you go on weekends. my cell is 073 2850 617 and you can whatsapp me if you . also fb , matthew Tony Durrheim . I'm super keen and have a bit of exp.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:55 pm 

Interesting, I could not find it via a search either... but here it is: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garden-R ... 31?fref=ts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:23 pm 

hey seems I have already liked it. haha! ah, OK..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:43 pm 

Tony - I have befriended you...I am back early Dec, so I am keen!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:26 am 

Hey All - I am back in George & would like to get out to WolweRivier soonest. Anyone keen and who has permission?