Quantcast
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Beginner - 9 Provinces
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:54 pm 

Hi.

I am a beginner, not having climbed more than an antheap - having said that, I have done a few Comrades, marathons and 160km races and I train regularly.

I would like to climb the 9 higests peaks in the 9 provinces...I assume this has been done before thus the reason for my post...

1. Would it be possible taking into account that I am a fresh novice...
2. You guys should know the 9 mountains...would some of them involve climbing with ropes, (ie Mafadi)or could I just hike up them?
3. If you know someone who has done this, please ask them to drop me a line.

Thanks!!

Andre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:19 am 

Hi Andre

This thread on the Vertical Endeavour forums should have all the info you need: http://www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum ... of-sa.html

Enjoy! :thumleft:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:46 am 

All the peaks are accessible by hiking. However obtaining access and permission from the land owners is sometimes difficult but MUST be obtained.

I looked at some of the threads you refer to and there is clearly incorrect information in circulation about the highest point in North West and probably (did not check myself) about the highest point in Gauteng (Toringkop) too. The main problem is that people look at a map and see that there is a spot height on a map or a trig beacon on a koppie and assume that that automatically means that that indicates the highest point in the vicinity. For example trig beacons were placed where they are most prominent and visible from the surrounding terrain not to merely mark the highest points (surveys in the old days were visual not GPS based). Several of the people have claimed to have been on top of all the peaks have been caught by this and have technically been off by several hundred meters (up to 1 kilometre).

Although it is popular to say that the Nooitgedacht peak is the highest in North West it is actually located in Gauteng (easy to verify on a map). The location of the highest point (it is not a peak in that sense of the word) is not obvious and there are several cairns dotted along the NW-Gauteng border marking “marking it”. It took a professional surveyor to determine this point (and establish the fact that it is only 60cm higher than other contenders / Cairns for this status).

I think part of the fun of visiting all of them is to brush up on your navigation map work so do make an effort to verify for yourself where these point are. Do not get fooled, like others have, by the ‘obviousness’ of these points / peaks.

Good luck .. it is well worth the effort

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:46 pm 

Shot. Thanks Stijn, Dean!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:05 pm 

I believe Kobus Bresler holds the record for shortest period for doing all 9 points. Here is a talk he did at FEAT about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNCP2mPnKh8. incidentally he did this solo, including the driving! he could certainly help you too

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:58 pm 

Odd to be joining another mountain related online forum - cool emitcons on this one :afro:

@AndreS: I am the "Ghaznavid" from the VE 9 summits forum. I have got tons of info from Kobus Besler. I believe his record is 8d6h52m. The group record is about 8d18h. I am aiming at a group record of 5h18h, with Mafadi and KwaDuma as a total of 3 days. That will be in December this year - assuming I can put a group together, my group of 3 definites and a probably is down to 2 definites and a probably. So if you are fit enough and up for a real challenge let me know :cyclops:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:32 pm 

Hi Andre,
my name is AUNDRE,[onehand] i have hiked allover the R.S.A.and done many high points. your project inspires me to do the same. PM me when you get to the Cape [Matroosberg neer Ceres i think] i`ll join u for a chat. any info on the northern turf u come up with will be cool to share. u in mind to do a KILI sometime, highest in Africa.
Sunrise from the top of any highpoint is awsome, sunset from anywhere is cool...
sweet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:54 pm 

I suggest joining the MCSA. They will teach you everything you need to know.