It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Muizenberg Face...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:51 am 

Hello All

I have climbed Muizenberg Face for the first time. Prior to this I had a discussion with one of the founders of this magnificint climbing spot. Are there any safe rap points and if not why not. How does one go about getting the necessary permission to do so. If TM can have rap points, why can't Muizenberg.

Any answers?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Muizenberg Face...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:37 am 

Because there's a really quick walk off to the left (facing in). You wouldn't save that much time with rapping (possibly twice depending on point chosen), plus there are a bunch of ledges your rope could get snagged on.

Nice view on the way down too...and a moment to reflect on what you've just achieved :)

s

ps. i think a far more important conversion could be had around path improvement up to the tea cave...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:45 am 

I have not been there in a while and to the best of knowledge no (abseil) bolts have been added.

Muizenberg Buttress forms part of the Table Mountain National Park and to bolt there without permission would be illegal (and damaging to the reputation of climbers).
The bolts on Table Mountain came about during the construction/installation of the new Cable Car - the bolts were added so that climbers would not have to enter the construction zone.

In order to place bolts in this area you would need to get permission from SANParks. This is best (read only) done via the MCSA.

As a matter of interest, do you have a location in mind for a proposed abseil at Muizenberg + sam's comments re the ledges?

Related:
- To chop or not to chop (abseil anchors at Lower Buttresses)
- Lower Buttresses - Abseil anchors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:19 am 

Just do the walk off like everyone else. The last people who tried to abseil off on the "Not Just a Pretty Face" line got their rope stuck and had to be rescued after spending a few long long hours in the dark.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:17 pm 

Thanks everyone

I was just thinking after the walk off, and please don't get me wrong I would never in my life dream of taking a
drill to any rock that I don't have the permission to drill. It's not the way I roll and it's just plain rude. Along with the fact that i Would not want to upset people on this site, another point is that I don't have one of those.
I see why the only way off is to walk off. I didn't give it much thought that the two ropes tied together would get stuck when you tried to pull them through.
But i'm just asking though, if all the permission was attained and everyone was happy, would rap anchors be able to be placed. or is it to impractical? I'll give it more thought as to where it might be the best place.
And I'll stress it again. I will not do anything but look :-) I promise.
If anyone else does it I have nothing do with it. This is the first place I will check with before I do anything. :-)
However I will be putting a request to the MCSA though. that I will do.

Thanks all and looking forward to hearing more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:03 am 

It takes longer to rap off and is possibly more dangerous too (there is lots of loose stuff on the big ledge that spans most of the face that you might pull down on yourself with your rope). Walking off is quick, easy and safe(r).

So that's a "No rap anchors" from me :thumleft:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:11 am 

I agree with Nic, I can't see a viable reason or location to have an abseil at Muizenberg.

Separate question: Has anyone climbed the dark 'chocolate' section of rock that has two bolts on the roofs?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:33 pm 

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Don't be lazy, walk off. It's not a big deal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:22 pm 

This "abseil point at Muizenberg" keeps cropping up. Just walk.
Re the bolts in the "chocolate section", I know who placed them. Not sure if the line was ever actually climbed. I assumed that it had been. The other routes left and right of the offending metal-men are all good climbing, so I guess that eliminate line is probably OK too. Wouldn't trust those bolts to hang my shoes from now though!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:56 pm 

The MCSA has bolted a few abseil stations on TM and Lions Head. Only after consultations and approval of the TMNP.
There's a clear process in place. I suggest you contact Delaney or Andy if you really really want to pursue this.
Richard B knows this crag better than anyone else, he wrote the book, I would go with what he says:
Just walk off. It might even be quicker than two people abseiling.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:42 pm 

Thank you all for your comments

I really do appreciate the time you've all taken to answer my question. I will agree to walk off in future and if I really do
think a rap point does need to be placed I'll contact the necessary powers that be.
Speaking of Books does anybody have a copy of Richard B's book available for purchase. I've tried everywhere and no luck. Would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks all