Quantcast
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:04 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:57 am 
Does anybody know where i can get hold of some plans for making my own portaledge. Have an idea of what to do, but any info would be appreciated. Also where to get components like a hinge that would allow the ledge to bend in half. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:58 am 
Is it perhaps time the MCSA bought a porta ledge to increase the number of big wall efforts? What does everyone think about that?
check out http://wsystem.com.br/hardgrit/Tech%20Info/portaledge.htm
If you do not feel completely capable and comfortable doing all of the phases of the construction do not attempt to build it...

Post subject:
Cool, thanks. Gonna help alot with the construction. Unfortunatately, do not attempt to build it = do not attempt to climb it, so the construction will go ahead! :)

Post subject:
What route are you planning on doing?

Post subject:
When the ledge is complete...we will go give Oceans of Fear a go and check out Children of the Sky at the same time, and if it's not too scary, then give that a try. If anyones got any good beta on Oceans that they think would help, it would be welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:59 am 
Steven Reed in Paarl(he belongs in the Eastern Cape actuly) has been busy making his portaledge for some time. His efforts are impressive. How hard can it be. You would have to remain in your harness anyway....so its not totaly safety critical. Give it a shot.

Post subject:
Anyone know where I can get hold of some 6061-T6 aluminum (aircraft grade), is it easy to find? Haven't looked yet as we're busy putting together the plans, but want to start buying the materials on Monday. can you just go down to the local store or is it harder to find? Thought about buying a BD one, but rather spend that on putting together a decent rack including a couple of Zero's to bring those big walls down to size!!

Post subject:
Hi Stu. I've done some hanggliding, have done some repairs to my hangglider(s), and I can tell you that you definitely CAN'T \"just go down to the store\". Alas. As far as I know, it's not easy, and it's not cheap, to buy aircraft grade aluminum. You would stand a fair chance of being given, or buying pretty cheap, someone's old wrecked glider (or parts). Potential problem: the poles used for most of the glider are pretty wide diameter and thin wall (for high strength to weight ratio)... the thin walls tend to make them very prone to dings, which weaken them considerably. I can still put you in touch with some hg people. If you like, give me a call -- 083 6607837

Post subject:
Hi I do have a topo on Oceans. (Call 072 285 9563). You do not need a ledge for it. Sleep on the LEdge of Forgotten dreams or blast for the top. Who dares, wins?! And if you fail then you will just have a really uncomfortable nite. It is better than schlepping that monster up there.