Quantcast
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:35 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Begin at the beginning.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:19 pm 

I want to get into climbing because I slipped a disc in my lower back and can't run or bike anymore. Is this a good idea?
If so, what do I do first? Buy the gear, find a wall, meet some people.... your input wd be appreciated.I'd like to find a group of people that don't mind someone coming along with them to wherever it is that they go to climb, to see what its all about.
BTW, I'm a 39 year old guy.hanks

Thanks
Jono

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:56 pm 

I think making your first post should come with a mandatory "I'm from...." :jocolor:

I have no real idea what your injury entails, but if you can't run (impact) or bike (posture) anymore you should probably be asking these questions to your doctor - sorry to say but it sounds like a "no". Top-roping I think should be ok-ish - depending on your injury. The impact from falling is very low and you can have great fun doing it.

Good idea? Maybe - check with your doctor, preferably one that has some clue about climbing. He / she would then be able to give you an informed opinion about your risks. I'm sure if you could climb grade 20 + you'd delight Snort by climbing steep stuff where a good belayer would be able to catch you softer than falling down on your bed, even on lead. :jocolor:

Buy the gear? - If your doc and / or your common sense allows you, yes, shoes first (it's the gear no-one really wants to lend to you, and after all, it should be the one piece of gear that fits you as well as possible). But then again only after you've had a casual day (or 5) out with some regulars and have a clue what it's about and decide to continue with it.

Find a group of people? Usually pretty easy if you divulge your general location :wink:

Hope it helps a little!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:28 pm 

[note: I took up climbing 3 months ago and my opinions are by no means expert opinions]

I agree with Emile - talk to your doc first, and start with shoes. I did my first climb bare foot due to my takkies failing 2m up, good fun... I would say that you should also consider taking up hiking (the single best hobby on earth :alien: ) - but if you slipped a disk, a backpack probably won't do you any favours.

Find a group of experienced people, make sure they show you how to do stuff, don't just let them do stuff for you. Also consider googling how to tie a figure of 8 knot and a double/triple fisherman's knot (the triple is a double where you go around an extra time), belaying technique etc so that you have an idea of whats going on before people who can do this stuff in their sleep try to explain it to you.

Also don't underestimate the importance of practicing at a climbing gym...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:25 am 

When my back is out, the best thing for it is to climb... it just seems to get everything back into place. I don't have a back injury though, so not sure that it would apply to you.
As the others said, seeing a doctor is the safest option, although I would imagine most doctors would advise against it.
I would say, give some easy climbs a try on top-rope, you should be able to feel if it's a good idea or not.