Quantcast
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:35 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Re: Safety at Peers Cave
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:55 am 

I was there two weeks ago and it seemed fine. plenty people walk there on a regular basis and don't seem to have any problems. we did have a dog just as a deterrent though, might be a good idea to do the same.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:42 pm 

Cool, my Golden Retriever will probably lick would be attackers to death.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:01 pm 

Has anyone heard anything about the report where 6 climbers were tied up?
Starting to think this report was made up!?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:49 am 

Michael, was there with a group last Sunday. Took two dogs with. There where some dodgy's by the parking area, which where gone when we returned, no incident at the cars. Otherwise there was a number of people hiking, some old couples even, and it seemed fine. I suggest you go as part of a big group and perhaps take dogs along. A 9mm may also do the trick and may solve the problem for the rest of us too.

I have no idea if the mugging was real or not. I just find the reality of 6?? people being held up a bit odd too. Where hey held up with guns? How many attackers to get such a big group to get mugged? Would they have been after climbing equipment or one or two cameras, what else is that valuable...can't think every was wearing so much valuable jewelry to warrant crime of that scale?

Of course, I am simply sceptical, if it did happen, my full sympathy to the victims, regardless of circumstance.

Post subject: Peers Cave
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:17 am 

Anyone been to Peers Cave recently or know of the crime/lack of crime situation there? If I remember correctly, there were 2 incidents of climbers getting held up there last year. Also, where is the best place to park.

Post subject: Re: Peers Cave
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:22 pm 

There are usually loads of day hikers at Peers Cave. I still haven't heard anything about the 6 people being held up. It seems made up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:30 pm 

I have not been there myself in a long time and have not heard of any problems at Peers Cave (possibly because no one has been there for a long time !?)

Parking at the standard (closest) parking area is asking for your car to be broken into. If you choose to park there then remove your valuables and leave your car unlocked (to save your window/car door).
Alternative parking areas are the old age home and the Cape Nature/SANParks house/property. Both are in walking distance of the standard car park.

wesleywt wrote:
I still haven't heard anything about the 6 people being held up. It seems made up.

I did some phoning around regarding the 6 people being tied up at Peers and could not find anything to substantiate the claim. As far as I am concerned it was made up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:21 pm 

We were there two weeks ago and all was fine. Best to park at the old age home down the road. The guy at the security there is super friendly and enjoys a small fee in exchange for parking there :thumright