Quantcast
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:18 pm 

I'm looking for a tent 2 or 3 person to use for mild weather hiking.

Also looking for a stove, gas canisters or liquid fuel also to be used for hiking.

Relatively good condition prefferred let me know what you have.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:20 pm 

If you can find an inner layer, we can see about you buying the remainder of my K-Way Treklite III tent - the inner layer is somewhere in Lesotho courtesy of the person I shared my tent with on the Grand Traverse of the Drakensberg earlier this year...

If you want some reviews on the different tents, see http://www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum ... t=96#55694 - its a fairly comprehensive one written by numerous hikers based on their experience.

You can also get a 4 season tent new for under R2000 - the 360 degree Cool Mountain or K-Way Treklite/Nerolite are both under this price. My Cool Mountain has held up well on the Drakensberg escarpment.

As for hiking stoves - you can buy a new one for about R250, why would you want a second hand one? You can also make one at home out of coke cans and use methylated spirits or ethanol to fuel it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:53 am 

There is no international standard test to determine what a "4 season" or "3 Season" tent is, and so it becomes easy for someone to claim 4 season without being able to survive hectic weather. MSR, BD, Helleberg, Mountain Hardware etc spend a fortune in time and money ensuring that their tents can survive the rigors of "4 season" weather, and the web is full of interesting comparisons and independent research on the topic. These brands don't have 4 season tents for less than R3.5k because they aren't willing to claim it on inferior designs and components. I say all of this to contextualize the following question: do you think Cape Union Mart and Outdoor Warehouse do the same with their K-Way and 360 Deg tents?

Having said all of the above I don't have a tent to sell, sorry :( but man, get a new tent! There are a bunch of Mild weather tents out there from many brands and not all of them cost a fortune. Buying a second hand tent is buying an epic, or misfortune.

The stove is a different story entirely, however I suspect the best place to find a good second hand one is a Cash Converter type place. The chances are if someone is on this forum they use their tent and stove. the only catch with a pawn shop is they try make as much of you as possible. Gumtree?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:32 am 

Warren G wrote:
There is no international standard test to determine what a "4 season" or "3 Season" tent is, and so it becomes easy for someone to claim 4 season without being able to survive hectic weather. MSR, BD, Helleberg, Mountain Hardware etc spend a fortune in time and money ensuring that their tents can survive the rigors of "4 season" weather, and the web is full of interesting comparisons and independent research on the topic. These brands don't have 4 season tents for less than R3.5k because they aren't willing to claim it on inferior designs and components. I say all of this to contextualize the following question: do you think Cape Union Mart and Outdoor Warehouse do the same with their K-Way and 360 Deg tents?

I haven't had my 360 degree tent for very long, but I have used it on the escarpment in about 20km/h wind (which was enough to break my fellow hiker's HiTec Tybet tent poles). On the Grand Traverse of the Drakensberg earlier this year we had 9 people and 6 tents, I had a K-Way Treklite, the leader had a 360 Degree Cool Mountain 2 man and we had a 360 Degree Cool Mountain 3 man tent in the group (as well as 2 old K-Way tents) and there was also 1 MSR tent. My Treklite didn't prove to be very waterproof, but K-Way claim to have fixed this (although I don't know whether or not I trust their tents at the moment - hence my reference to the forum where I explained these issues in detail). The tents that held up best where the 360 Degree Cool Mountains - they never had moisture inside them in the morning. None of the tents struggled in the wind, snow or cold conditions. I spent 3 nights out of 11 in one of the 360 degrees, 4 nights in my K-Way, and 4 nights in a MSR - so I had a fair spread of different tent manufacturers. I definitely found the 360 degree Cool Mountain to be the best.

Btw - K-Way claim to have tested their Nerolite on Everest Base Camp and Kili, so it should be able to handle pretty testing conditions. I don't know about the testing of the old Treklite though.

Warren G wrote:
Having said all of the above I don't have a tent to sell, sorry :( but man, get a new tent! There are a bunch of Mild weather tents out there from many brands and not all of them cost a fortune. Buying a second hand tent is buying an epic, or misfortune.

I agree - be very careful about getting used equipment, there is always a reason that the person is selling it.