ACRA Wall: W-Boven

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Liz

ACRA Wall: W-Boven

Postby Liz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:44 pm

I was in a conversation with another climber a while ago and he asked me what ACRA stood for. I told him as far as I can remember it was the acronym for: Amazingly Cool Radically Awesome. Can anybody confirm this? :?:

Chris F

Re: ACRA Wall: W-Boven

Postby Chris F » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:28 pm

That's what I was told. I think it was Mike Cartrwight and Grant Murray who found it and came up with the name. there were a few acronym crags at the time, i think they deliberately came up with an acronym name for a crag at Mt Everest (or whatever it's called now) that never stood for anything?

Warren G

Postby Warren G » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:30 am

Your little query has we scratching my head and paging though the Boven guide, but I do remember this: is it rail related, I know it isn't the company that built the railway (that was ZSM), but there is no way someone is going to call themselves "Acra Retreat" it that is what it means.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Liz

Postby Liz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:41 pm

I decided to check with the owners of Acra lodge why it is called "acra" and they explained that acra is Greek for "on the edge of a cliff". Very apt. I think I still prefer the other nickname, just because it really is radically cool and awesome! 8)

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”