Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:25 am 

Only full MCSA members will be eligable for discount and access to Chospile. Why? Anyone can become a prospective member in 30 minutes, there is no real screening or commitment. This 'loophole' defeats the point of controlled access which was requested by Mt Amanzi to make sure that all climbers themselves or are accompanied by members of a climbing club. To give peope a chance to get over Xmas and to save up, this rule will start from 1 Feb 2013 to allow people to recover from their Xmas spend.

Andrew P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:41 am 

so what about being part of a university clubs? cutting out the youth again?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:44 am 

Ebert, the university clubs still have access. He was just referring to people who have signed with as prospective members with the MSCA.

You love stirring sh!t :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:38 am 

Ebert, Brian is correct. University clubs fine.
Not sure what you mean by cutting out the youth again? I have always be so supportive of you guys, this is quite hurtful.
Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:38 am 

andrew p wrote:
Only full MCSA members will be eligable for discount and access to Chospile. Why? Anyone can become a prospective member in 30 minutes

Not true AFAIR. You still need two sponsors to sign off your membership form to join the Magaliesberg section of the MCSA.

Edit: Johannesburg section requires you to attend four official meets.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:50 pm 

twiga wrote:
Not true AFAIR. You still need two sponsors to sign off your membership form to join the Magaliesberg section of the MCSA.

Yeah thats for membership, not prospective membership... In Jhb section prospective member needs to fill out form and pay R100, then you are a prospective member. After attending four meets and getting two members (in good standing) to sign your form you are considered for membership! Pointless argument about trivial detail.... It was a side comment.... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 pm 

Dewrance wrote:
twiga wrote:

Yeah thats for membership, not prospective membership... In Jhb section prospective member needs to fill out form and pay R100, then you are a prospective member. After attending four meets and getting two members (in good standing) to sign your form you are considered for membership! Pointless argument about trivial detail.... It was a side comment.... :roll:

Thanks for clearing that up

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:18 pm 

Can they still bring a guest?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:26 pm 

sick:D ill be there:)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:44 am 

yes they can bring 2 guests, nothing else has changed.

BTW. I notice a few of the bolts on climbs at the LOR sector need replacing. Gollum, half of Dont Deck, Gandalf. These are popular routes.
Anyone want to help me with this. 1 climb per person. MCSA Mag/JHB providing the kit. I have a spare drill.

Regards

Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:09 am 

giv me bolts and ill do, i got the whole holiday after nigeria to jack around:) but i think those bolts r still good for a few years:P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:26 am 

I am a prospective member of the mcsa jhb, and will hopefully be a full member as soon as i don't need to work on sundays or find a scheduled meet on Saturdays, but that's another problem all together.
But i was wondering how can a tourist access chosspile without being accompanied by a club member? Is foreign mountain club memberships ok?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:36 am 

Ebert. I think the ones with the allan key bolt and the alpha hangars are drop-ins (about 18 mm long) and must be replaced. If they are proper bolts we can see how they are by replacing 1-2. Email me. I will get you enough for 2 routes. Much appreciate your help. I will throw in a couple bits and some Pratleys ( ;

On the other question from McJagger, best to go with a local club member if you can.

Cheers

Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:00 am 

The non-locals issue had been prominent throughout. I know that this Sunday one of my friends was up here from Natal but could not find an MCSA member to climb with. Unfortunately he was not able to climb at Choss. This is just the way things are. There are other locations to climb around GP. We'll just have to accept this issue as it is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:01 am 

yeah true, forgot aboout the allen key ones, lol, those were dodge 5 years ago:P think we shud just rebolt from right to left? After my trip i got loads of time so dont mind doing the crag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:08 am 

Andrew I'd be keen to rebolt a route at Choss. Have a drill. Have run out of bolts

I've whipped onto those allen head black bolts, they're still good haha.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:32 am 

think we shud make a rebolt choss day in the new year, then all the local choss people can meet eachother

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:42 am 

I understand why members get a "discount", but why exclude all other private individuals? Is climbing like an elitist golf club now?
I do not mind paying a premium until such time as i am a member...
Probably not the right place, but any jhb mcsa member that wants to go climbing on Saturdays and sign my card give me a shout from January onward!
Been climbing a few years (sport 23/24 (Gollum :lol: )) and have a trad rack, that's only done Jacobs ladder last december :thumright

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:05 am 

McJ, make it worth ur while, join EXPLORATION, R350 for the year, u get discount at many places(the barn, etc), u get access to tuks climbing wall, gear, and our AMAZING BOULDERCAVE for the year, sounds like a steal to me:) and u get to go to choss:) on the choss note, we go frequently or there are frequently members of our club going so, like exploratio on fb and post when u wanna go and ull get a few followers:)

ebert nel
people that dont allow for access, hope God plays the same one on u

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 am 

McJagger, dont jump to conclusions. Oh how I tried to convince the mamangement to drop the 'must be with a cardholder rule'. This was not the idea of the MCSA but at the insistence of the Mt Amanzi management who wants reassurance that everyone climbing is affiliated to a climbing club or with someone affiliated, I think to reassure them that all are decent and safe folk which I guess is fair enough.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:48 am 

So the people who want this rule are the very same that don't apply it, in all the times i have been to chospile not once was i asked :drunken:
@ Ebert thanks, but i really want to be a member of the mcsa and contribute (money) towards what the mcsa do for climbing, just not so sure about the "you cant climb at chospile business"