Climbing in March (Stellenbosch)

If you are a beginner climber and want to ask other climbers any questions - then this is the place to ask.
Moritz

Climbing in March (Stellenbosch)

Postby Moritz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi Guys,

not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but I'm going to visit a friend of mine in Stellenbosch for 2 weeks in march and wanted to ask for some general information regarding climbing conditions during summer.
I already read about this thing you call "shlauk" or something, which seems to be common in summer? Does this render most of the areas near the sea useless? What about temperatures? I'm guessing it's going to be too hot to climb during mid-day, are conditions better in the morning or evening? Are there any spots near Stellenbosch you could recommend (both bouldering and lead)?

Thanks a lot!

Regards
Moritz

tygereye

Re: Climbing in March (Stellenbosch)

Postby tygereye » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi Moritz
Stellenbosch is half an hour's drive from Cape Town and it will take about 45minutes max to just about any crag in that area. Hellfire and Paarl Rock both are also 30mins or less away; Kleinmond 45min, so you've got a wide choice of trad, sport and bouldering in less than an hour in just about any direction.

March usually has awesome conditions for climbing, since the south easter (the cause of the schlauk) usually willl have died down by that time.

You still get hot days, but much milder than February. Just find a route in the shade and you're well away. Check out the guidebooks Western Cape Rock, Hellfire and Paarl Rocks.

Moritz

Re: Climbing in March (Stellenbosch)

Postby Moritz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Sounds awesome, thanks!

Social Media

Return to “Beginners Corner”