Quantcast
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:28 pm 

Hi All

The Mine is looking a little dodgy these days so we'd like to get a bunch of us up there in January to clean it up.

Please can you email me on delaney@rockchicks.co.za and let me know who's available on 11th or 12th January to help out?

Thanks so much
Delaney

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:46 pm 

You beat me to it! I am game for the day/weekend

I suppose the real question is what is the best way to remove oil from a rock wall -maybe a Handy Andy or Sunlight soap? This oil is affecting routes, I am surprised no one has organized a clean up months ago, but I suppose we are all to blame for this.

Fortunately for the people that couldn't help with rebolting the Mine (and other crags), cutting/maintaining paths round Silvermine, ensuring legal access to climbing areas and restoring the bases of Bad kloof crags this is an ideal time to release your frustrations at not having the opportunity to contribute to the community that you so actively take from. Best of all there are several crags/areas that need attention, over several weekends and so there is no way that your calendar is (as has been up to now- double booked with important things like sending routes and climbing at newly reopened areas elsewhere: with all this there will be an opportunity to contribute!

On this topic I am very keen on cleaning the "Wedding Rock" before 3 March 2013, and being there for that day: would love to see the person that annually defaces such a prominent stone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:00 pm 

Hi All

I am armed with some brushes and Plascon's Graffiti remover (environmentally friendly).

Who will be able to join us this Saturday 12 January to clean up the mine?

I'll bring the Graffiti remover (which should also help remove the oil), brushes, a broom (who know's?) and plastic bag for any rubbish.

I would also like to pop round to Peer's Cave afterwards as well and clean that up a bit.

Please can you let me know who will be available to help this weekend and should we meet at the Mine parking at about 10am?

Thanks so much
Delaney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:09 pm 

The best way to remove oil would probably be to use engine degreaser available at most motor spare shops e.g. Midas. You just brush it on with a paint brush and wash it off with water - no scrubbing - it's cheap and works like a bomb. Just make sure you use gloves otherwise it will strip all the oil from your skin. I seem to remember however that The Mine has already been cleaned: http://www.climbing.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8931

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:32 am 

What time is this clean up sceduled?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:28 am 

Thanks so much for the tip to clean the oil.

Apparently it's looking dodgy again so I'm going to go back and make sure it's cleaned up again.

We're meeting at 10am at the parking and walking up then.

Depending on how quickly the clean up goes, I'd like to also pop round to Peer's Cave and clean off the graffiti there.

Thanks so much to everyone who responded to this and who will be assisting me :-)

Tx
D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 am 

Meeting Saturday at 10am.

Thanks again
D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:47 pm 

"Cleen Green" is a brilliant biodegradable de greaser. You can dilute it to the intensity you need. Most auto supply shops like Midas should have. Game also stock it in 5l.

Sorry I can't join you guys!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:46 am 

Thanks so much :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:24 am 

I would love to join but I am in Turkey until the 19th. Thank you guys for the service, The Mine is looking a little scummy. Clifford mentioned doing some path maintainance. The problem is now that the path is in such a bad state that people have begun to walk through bushes to avoid the path which isn't really helping the issue. I will let you guys know when we deside to go and fix this path up, maybe a few extra people can come along and help us fix it up :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:36 pm 

Hi Craig

Thanks so much. Yes, the path is definitely next on our agenda and I have put it on the agenda for the Rock Sub Com meeting to be held later this month.

Paul and I managed to get most of the oil/parafin off the rock at The Mine but unfortunately a lot of it has seeped into the rock and discoloured it. We also cleaned off chalk and charcoal scribbles by some juvenile delinquets so it's all looking better now.

Here are a few pics: https://www.facebook.com/MountainClubOfSouthAfrica

Thank you again to Paul for coming to assist me.

Delaney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:16 pm 

Hi All

I've heard that The Mine has been trashed again :-(

Please can anyone who has been up there recently reply to this thread and let me know what the status is?

MCSA is chatting to SANP about this on Friday so feedback about this soon would be great.

Thanks so much
Delaney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:05 pm 

I will try head up there this evening or tomorrow. I will let you know

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:09 pm 

I was there a few weeks ago and an army of around fifteen kids arrived at the Mine. There were no adults and the kids must have been aged 8-12.

I think 'uncle' Rhino was quite intimidated by them whilst belaying me, but probably only because he didn't understand their Afrikaans.

There was an oil container that I noticed on the walk in. Goodness knows what it was doing on the path, but on the way out I saw the kids had emptied it all over the show. (Perhaps the tree fellers left the oil; perhaps someone else.)

Uncle Rhino had to kick their arses when they started writing graffiti on the rock.

These kids are the prime suspects.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 pm 

I was there yesterday evening and it seemed clean. I didn't check the lower part though.

We did see a lot of used oil spilt on the road up to the mine.

On the way down just after 8 we saw 2 kids around 15 or so heading up which seemed odd, no idea what they were up to but they didn't seem to be carrying anything.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:17 am 

Hi guys

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Yeah, I assumed it was kids. I'm wondering whether a sign to not litter, etc. would be worth putting up there?

It wouldn't do much good if these kids are illiterate or rebellious and want to still trash the place.

The alternative is just to keep cleaning up their mess.

I've asked Cormac to lead a path-maintenance mission. Do you guys think it would be worthwhile having an MCSA sign up there laying down the law?

Thanks again for all the feedback. This really helps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 am 

I very much doubt a sign would help.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:30 am 

Hi All

I unfortunately haven't managed to get to the Mine lately but please can those who have been there recently let me know if you think we need to fix up the path?

Thanks so much
Delaney