Wedding Rock Clean Up

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Delaney

Wedding Rock Clean Up

Postby Delaney » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi All

Warren has been trying everything to clean the Graffiti and paint off the Wedding Rock in Montagu.

I will be putting the Plascon Graffiti remover to the test in Rocklands and around the peninsula.

Please can you let us know who would be keen to assist Warren this February to finally clean off the Graffiti at Wedding Rock?

Thanks so much
Delaney

pierre.joubert

Re: Wedding Rock Clean Up

Postby pierre.joubert » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:39 pm

Unfortunately I'm in the wrong end of the country to help, but if you're looking for the right stuff to get graffiti off:

http://www.graffitiremovalservices.co.z ... lace_order

Delaney

Postby Delaney » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks so much for the tip :-)

Warren is heading there this weekend with some Plascon Graffiti Remover and we'll see if it does the job.

We'll keep everyone posted.

Tx
D

Warren G

Postby Warren G » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Fortunately there are lots of people going through to Montagu this weekend, and so we shouldn't have a problem fining people keen! there is a big tag at Jurassic park area too, hopefully we will get there.

It is enormously rewarding doing this sort of stuff: when we cleaned Supertube we removed all graffiti except for the climbing chalk and it looked like an absolute blight on the wall. It was a pleasure removing the chalk from the bottom few holds, returning the wall to a state it hadn't been in for decades- a pleasure in the same way as cleaning a room in your house
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Andy Davies

Postby Andy Davies » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Warren if you have some spare hands it would be very cool if someone could remove the horrible yellow hand painted arrows and other directions through the kloof. Good luck.........
AndyDavies

Not

Postby Not » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:54 am

There are many of us coming through to Montagu this weekend. I expect that we'll only be able to climb early morning and late evening so we can do some clean up in the heat of the day. I will also take a few more sandbags with me to add to the waterworld fortifications.
I don't think, therefore I'm Not

Delaney

Postby Delaney » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:38 pm

How did the clean up go?

Not

Postby Not » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Um...not overly well. The paint used on the wedding rock is super durable (maybe road marking paint?) and very little progress was made. Warren and myself managed to make good inroads into the hand painted signs at Supertubes because various people at our crew for the weekend had projects there. The foot prints under Thruster are significantly fainter but still need work. Next time we're there I expect we'll be able to fully eradicate teh footprints and will be able to start on the text and arrows.
I don't think, therefore I'm Not

nyzahauser

Postby nyzahauser » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:55 am

do you have pictures?

Delaney

Postby Delaney » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback and for your efforts.

I'm sorry to hear that the paint won't budge at The Wedding Rock. Does anyone have any other suggestions for what can be used to remove road paint?

Thanks again
Delaney

Warren G

Postby Warren G » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Part of the problem is the rock itself: very textured and granular, meaning the paint has in-bedded itself. The chemical treatment will help, but what i found most effective on this last attempt was simply that it was another attempt, and so the previous had softened and dried the surface, making scrubbing easier.

I am very optimistic about the Thruster/ Supertube paint:very sealed rock means the chemical works very well.

The scary thing about all of this is just how much graffiti there is on the hotel side of the kloof. oh, by the way if you are heading to Palace walk in from the bottom not the top, as the path between hotel and palace is almost impassable
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”