It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:03 pm 

Hi guys and gals,

We have just completed the construction of our new Moonboard on the upstairs mezzanine at CityROCK.
Come and try some problems set and graded by Ben Moon himself.

Marijus has been bugging us for years to put in one of these. Apparently it makes you insanely strong. So that he can train to go ice climbing in Patagonia.

The problems and setup will be changed every two weeks.

We now have a Moonboard, a campus board, pull up bar, some free weights and kettle bells so you can train for that 8c+.

Climb strong and stay safe!

- Lee

Attachments:
DSC01314 smaller.jpg
DSC01314 smaller.jpg [ 151.6 KiB | Viewed 2395 times ]
Moonboard.jpg
Moonboard.jpg [ 110.86 KiB | Viewed 2368 times ]

Last edited by robertbreyer on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:20 pm 

Thanks Robert, Lee and the entire CR crew for an international climbing facility !
I look forward to being spat off that new toy !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:47 pm 

Hardest. 6A. Ever. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:42 pm 

The moon board is awesome. And those 6a problems are frikken hard! Word of advice.... Warm up PROPERLY! Do you guys have all 3 sets of grips? We would not mind a bit of beta on some of the problems we can't figure out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 am 

We only have 2 of the 5 sets of holds at the moment. School Holds Set A and the Original School Holds.

http://www.moonclimbing.com/school-hold ... set-a.html
http://www.moonclimbing.com/original-sc ... l-set.html

They weren't cheap so we decided to see how we go with a couple sets and see how the board was received. Good chance we will get the remaining 3 sets in the not-too-distant future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:02 pm 

Does it come with calibration marks to get the angle of the holds perfect? :?

+ /- 5 degress can make a lot of difference! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:25 pm 

the grips should be placed in one of 8 directions ie north, north east etc. no calibration device given but with a air fluid level and a calibrated half circle (like we used in school Math)could get you there if you worried about being 5 degrees off...but honestly don't think itsneeded.

There are only 3 sets the power grips are not part of the climbing setup they use for the online routes. So if it works out for you guys then you only short of one set.

Keep us posted on how it goes. We are finding the routes flippen hard for their grades

Ciao

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:44 am 

Howsit, I went tradding there this past weekend after seeing the line of cars on TM...The routes are great fun at Lion's and I will be back there soon (to also try Mane Course;). I just have a question, I linked the right roof rail at the top of Mean Eyed Cat and saw it wasn't posted in the Wiki guide...I have since tried to register to post on the Wiki guide, but with no response from Climb.za admin - does this take a while?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:09 pm 

that's awesome, i have been considering building one of these for ages, did you take pics of the process? how did you get the holds?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:58 pm 

www.moonclimbing.com

all the instructions on how to build available for download on their site.

you will have to order the grips from them too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:11 am 

suman wrote:
Howsit, I went tradding there this past weekend after seeing the line of cars on TM...The routes are great fun at Lion's and I will be back there soon (to also try Mane Course;). I just have a question, I linked the right roof rail at the top of Mean Eyed Cat and saw it wasn't posted in the Wiki guide...I have since tried to register to post on the Wiki guide, but with no response from Climb.za admin - does this take a while?

Hi Suman. That question is not relevant to this thread but be that as it may, I happen to know that Leonard Flemming did that line earlier this year. He has posted the ascent on the wiki. Well done on the send - its a commiting move to get into the rail.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:04 am 

Hi Friend1.0
I suspect suman is a bot of some kind, cause not only is the post not related, but also it is a word for word copy of Lenny's post from way back. Not a very good bot though, cause there's no linked signature or sneaky add that I can see.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:47 am 

thanks Robert, but i have already seen the Plans and have also gone back and forth between placing the Holds/grips in and out of my "basket" i was mostly asking for a bit more of a "personal" experience with building the moon board type of reply.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:04 am 

lelikegogga wrote:
Hi Friend1.0
I suspect suman is a bot of some kind, cause not only is the post not related, but also it is a word for word copy of Lenny's post from way back. Not a very good bot though, cause there's no linked signature or sneaky add that I can see.

That would make sense - thanks lelikegogga.

I do believe congratulations are in order on your send last weekend! Goeie werk buddy!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:17 pm 

We didn't take pics of the construction unfortunately.

There were a few things missing from the building plans that we had to work out ourselves.

One I remember being the utilising of all the wood correctly. You need to pre-measure and plan out exactly what each piece of wood is for as in the plans they only allow for the exact amount of wood you need and no offcuts.

They also don't show how to secure the main board onto the kickstand. We just used coach bolts through the support struts. We didn't have much to secure the wall to in terms of support so we ended up using chain and turnbuckles attached to the purlins to get the angle right and then welded brackets in place to secure the board to with wooden beams.

With our support structure being so slim we found that the whole wall flexed when climbing so we placed a couple cross-braces on the back to make it a bit more solid.

Holds were really expensive but hey that's the system you're buying. Makes route setting and grading so easy.

Hope this helps.

Lee @ CityROCK

Attachment:
IMG_1842.JPG
IMG_1842.JPG [ 228.33 KiB | Viewed 1201 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:36 am 

thanks thats is exactly what i was looking for.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:32 pm 

Marllu you should come past my place sometime and check out the wall. I'll gladly help you design and plan the construction, I've built 3 so far