It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Re: Duiwelskloof
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:39 am 

Has anyone else been in Donkerkloof lately? The place is getting way more trashed by local rastas than 50 bolted lines could ever do. Not to mention the eradication of all the buchu in the area. Really, if anyone gave a shit, it should be given equally across all sectors.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:42 pm 

What is the latest re access here?
Did the Franchoek veldfires reach here?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:48 am 

henkg wrote:
What is the latest re access here?
Did the Franchoek veldfires reach here?

You mean Duiwelskloof? (as opposed to Donkerkloof that Pierre was ranting about). As far as I know the fires did not reach it, the major Franschoek fire was on the northern side of the Berg River. There was a fire in the Banghoek valley but that was relatively small.

Access is easy, take the Lanquedoc turn off (opposite the school outside Pniel), drive across the river, follow the tar road through the town and out the far side, take the first left, continue up past the graveyard and drive to the end of the road. You'll need a high clearance vehicle and a somewhat uncaring attitude to your paintwork. From the end of the road walk up the path into the kloof.

For what it's worth, the are loads of rastas around the exit to Volstruiskloof, just nearby and their campsite is one of the cleanest and neatest I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:56 pm 

When I was last at the spot you mentioned, Nic, (which was some two weeks ago) there was nothing neat about that cave, other than the fact that most of the ton of rubbish was dumped in a bush next to the said cave. Not sure if it was the Rastas, or other visitors to the cave, but I remember it being a foul end to such a pristine outing. Anyone keen on a clean up mission?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:44 pm 

Guy Paterson-Jones, Dark Horse (Neil Havenga) and I were in Duiwelskloof a week ago. The kloof is fantastic. And those walls are still pretty big. One of the biggest walls in SA. Twice the size of Yellowwood. Bigger than Blouberg. Bit smaller than Slanghoek.

It had been quite a long time since I'd last been there so I took a drive out there the previous weekend and scouted out the access. We crossed the single-lane bridge then did a left onto a dirt road with a No Entry sign. Ended up at a pig farm near the kloof. The farmer is a chap by the name of Graham Dolan. Very lekker oke. He explained that the land is Boschendal property and showed me the tracks. He gave me the phone number of security at Boschendal and asked that I contact them. I did so (surprised myself!) and they were very cool. They emailed their indemnity to me which I completed and emailed back. It all worked well and the 4x4 track gets really high up and then becomes a good path that joins across to the right.

If you go out there I would say take a garbage bag because there is a bit of litter at the campsite that needs removing. I was sorry not to have a plastic bag for the rubbish. One minute of effort and the place will look pristine again.

We climbed Lucifer. It's a great outing. Eighteen pitches of moderate climbing covering about 450m. Duiwels Direct is also very nice. I don't really rate Fire Escape. On Hutchinson's Buttress overlooking Boschendal farm there are some good routes. I've done Jerker and rate it.

Duiwelskloof is also the access route to doing the Volstruiskloof kloofing/abseiling trip. Yoh, that's amazing. Every Cape mountaineer should do that trip...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I will take some refuse bags with. Planning the kloof trip, but those walls sounds good too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:31 am 

This is the road you want to take: http://goo.gl/maps/qYZlR. It runs from top left to bottom center in the link.

This is the parking/turn around spot: http://goo.gl/maps/MnCqX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:53 am 

Voytek, hats off to you for the big effort my man!!!

I'm amping to get up there with you and open the route together, lets get together and chat about it!

There are those who follow and those who lead. This route is a bold step ahead, a new path forged where few would dare to venture. I acknowledge the tremendous effort you have made, inestimable!

Here's to the ones judged for dreaming big seemingly impossible dreams...the ones who are crazy enuff to believe they can change the world and actually do.

Climb on and climb strong!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:14 am 

Seriously Matt?

Haven't you gotten tired of bolting things illegally yet?

mattbush wrote:
There are those who follow and those who lead. This route is a bold step ahead, a new path forged where few would dare to venture. I acknowledge the tremendous effort you have made, inestimable!

How about the bold step of really contributing something to climbing by working with Greg's draft sport climbing plan (see the earlier posts) and getting permission to bolt there?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:02 am 

To the defense of Matt on this topic nowhere in his comment did he mention anything about bolting. I agree that I would expect someone like himself to be interested in getting involved in those sorts of documents as it will allow him (and the greater community) bolting freedom in certain areas.

Please play the ball, not the man.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 am 

But he is actively supporting someone who has (is?) bolting illegally. Sending a great message.