Quantcast
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:55 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Hout Bay Sentinel RD's
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:24 am 

Are there any RD's avaible for the Sentinel? I know there is that hard route that is in the Wiki, but I was hoping to find an easy route on the better quality rock that is on the shorter right hand side of the mountain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 am 

Hey let me know if you keen to try figure it out? I drive past it often checking out if there is a easy way up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:15 am 

Hi Garron

Some routes on the Sentinel -

Twilight of an Idol
Trespasser's Face
South East Corner Route
East Rib
The Grey Buttress Route
Sentinel Frontal
Deep Gully Route

Guy Paterson-Jones and I climbed Twilight last year. A good route to do once (only). We onsighted it free and called it 25.

I've climbed Trespasser's Face with Karl Hayden, Alan Ross and Batch Batchelor. We thought it was fantastic. It's a 1933 Frank Berrisford route. Quite adventurous and quite committing even if easy.

Karl and I climbed the South East Corner Route and it was nice enough.

My boy Kieren and I established East Rib on the right side of the deep gash above the houses. I've solo'ed down it from the summit. Nice route for beginnners.

Karl and I backed off The Grey Buttress Route. A shite route and very dangerous. Not one of Berrisford's crowning glories.

My brother John and Tony Lodge climbed the Frontal many years ago and were immensely uncomplimentary of it. I'll pass on that one.

The Deep Gully Route was described as loose and dangerous by Berrisford. Pass.

Karl and I have a very lekker project in the middle of the brown wall where we've done two pitches on fantastic rock with really nice climbing.

I'll see if I can post some of those RDs.

H.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:17 pm 

Thanks Hilton I'd like to do some of those.

Did find a way up the mountain on Sunday. We climbed on the right side of the mountain (starting below a large open book), I think we were on a existing route for part of the way (about 17), or until we found a rap point where the rock got really bad, and then did a scary traverse along poor rock to get to better rock. It was a fun day but cannot recommend the route. I saw another open book that looked quite easy and on good rock so keen to give that a go (I'm sure it has been done before).

I think we soloed down the ridge route, yes that is a really nice for beginners.