Basically, I am hoping to put together a Trad Rack & start doing some trad. Here in the Garden Route, we have very limited sport crags and I have long since done them all, many times over.
I am comfortable doing routes up to about 20 and also comfortable with the concepts and implementation of Anchors. My approach would be to do some nice-and-easy 13-14-15 Trad routes and work my way from there (routes with little chance to fall). Some routes I see myself doing would include TowerKop, Swartberg, Table Mountain and possibly unknown routes close to home. Starting with Single pitch.
What do you think of the following as a Starter Kit:
- Rack of C4 BD Camelots (for mid to big stuff) with double on popular sizes (suggestions for #'s I should get)
- Rack of Metolius Master Cam (for the smaller stuff) - only for the finger size holds and use BD for everything bigger (size # ??)
- Rack of BD Hex (complete range set) other options?
- X5 120cm slings - for anchors
- X2 60cm slings - for carrying gear, using natural protection on a route.
- X2 30cm slings - extending gear in tight places
- X3-5 Carabiners (locking) - I already own a few but for anchor systems
- X5 snap-gate carabiners - for using on gear to attach rope
- X1 Removal tool
- X5m Cordette - for anchoring, Chicken head
- X2 Prussic loops....
This is still a working list and I am probably still missing a few things...your thoughts please? So a good starter rack for the route mentioned above...
What would your feeling be on doing some easy Trad routes without 'formal' guidance? If you think it is a bad idea...is it due to expertise needed for gear placement or anchoring??
Hope to hear your thought...J