Bosch Kloof, Montagu

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
Justin

Re: Bosch Kloof Closed

Postby Justin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:24 pm

RE: Legoland Access

Three weeks ago we parked our car at Legoland. CJ Johnson of Die Tol Huis approached us aggressively and threatened us. He accused us of defacing the nature and without giving us time to get off the routes he locked us in. I had a few words with him as he proceeded to drive over our climbing gear. I told him I would cut the lock and he said if we want to get out we must pay him the sum of R50. I proceeded to cut the chain and leave with a laugh.

The owner of De Tol Huis : CJ Johnson owns land 100meters from legoland towards bosch kloof. He does not own the area up to and including legoland although he claims to on emotive grounds. He has put up false signs claiming that legoland is his private property. Legoland is the property of Paul Bruwer. This has been confirmed on legal grounds.

The true owner of legoland is Paul Bruwer. My dad spoke with him last night and he is happy that climbers continue to use legoland area. There is consideration as to moving the gate as well as the fallacious signage that CJ Johnson has unlawfully errected. This will be discussed in further meeting with Paul.

Please advise climbers on these grounds that Legoland access has been confirmed by Paul Bruwer. If there should be any problems with further aggression and restriction by C.J Johnson, it is advised to notify Montagu Police.

Thank you
Matt Bush
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Thermophage

Postby Thermophage » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:29 pm

OK...I may not be particularly well informed, but Justin, what has happened regarding this in the last 3 years?
I presume the area is still closed off?

Cheers,
Cuan

Justin

Postby Justin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi,

Bosch Kloof remains closed, we are currently in communication with the owners regarding access. Please refrain from entering the kloof, driving through the entrance gate (and parking at or anywhere along the road).

As soon as we have an answer, we'll let you know.

Thanks,
Justin
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Thermophage

Postby Thermophage » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Merci' for the update :)

pwnel

Postby pwnel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Drove past Legoland last Friday (the 5th - around 11am), and was particularly annoyed to see a black 4x4 having driven through the gate, and parked off the side of the road very close to where the first climbs start. Two climbers were busy on one of the routes.

Was in a hurry and with other people, so didn't have time or inclination to stop and confront these morons, but this type of behavior certainly doesn't help towards reopening Bosch.

GClamp

Postby GClamp » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Drove past Legoland last Friday (the 5th - around 11am), and was particularly annoyed to see a black 4x4 having driven through the gate, and parked off the side of the road very close to where the first climbs start.

I can't understand that ... Legoland has the shortest walk in of any crag I know?? How lazy are people?

Justin

Postby Justin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:42 pm

I've had to ask a couple of people to remove their vehicles from the area in the past. The main reason given (including the black 4x4) is that they are worried about their cars being broken into / have stuff strapped on the outside of the vehicle that can easily be stolen.

There was one incident +- 6 years ago when a vehicle was broken into at the Legoland parking lot (which means it was probably a one time passing vehicle who did the deed).

In short: The Legoland parking lot is a safe place to park and use, do not go into the kloof or park beyond the entrance gate.

Tx :thumleft:
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Justin

Postby Justin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi All,

Thank you to everyone who has been obeying the ban at Boschkloof.
We went to Bosch the other day to check on a few things and noticed chalk on some of the routes, so it is likely that some people were in there not too long ago.

Please note that the whole of Bosch Kloof remains closed.
Legoland (which is owned by the same person) remains open - please continue to keep the area clean.

The good news, negotiations with the owners are going positively and climbers will get to climb there again one day.

In the mean time... The whole of Bosch Kloof remains closed.

Please do not jeopardise access by entering this area.

And just in case you were not sure...
Once again: The whole of Bosch Kloof remains closed at this time.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Justin

Postby Justin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:20 pm

A bump was perhaps the wrong thing to do for this post...

Please note that the whole of Bosch Kloof remains closed.
Legoland (which is owned by the same person) remains open - please continue to keep the area clean.

The good news, negotiations with the owners are going positively and climbers will get to climb there again one day.

In the mean time... The whole of Bosch Kloof remains closed.

Please do not jeopardise access by entering this area.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Justin

Postby Justin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:50 pm

So. Who wants to go climb at Bosch??
Attachments
alana_bosch__2.jpg
alana_bosch__2.jpg (93.73 KiB) Viewed 927 times
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Brussel

Postby Brussel » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:39 pm

I assume this means access has been granted??
Ok just saw article go up ....woohooo!

Justin

Postby Justin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Wes

Postby Wes » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:17 am

This is great news, but what kind of condition are the bolts in? It seems from the wiki that a lot of routes were bolted around 1996 with mechanical bolts and hangers.

Justin

Postby Justin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:05 am

All mechanical, condition good (generally speaking).

As mentioned please report any suspect / badly placed bolts to me with a full description (and photo is possible).
- Crag
- Route
- Number bolt (counting from the bottom)
- What you think is wrong (crack line, corroded, wrong place, etc)

FYI: When adding routes to the Wiki please always include dates of when routes were bolted (comes in handy 30 years down the line :)
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

proze

Postby proze » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:11 am

I remember a bolt on Pink Bubbles coming clean out of the rock as I clipped it, back in the day. I'll have to go back now and see if it's still dodgy.

Justin

Postby Justin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi All,

On Saturday, the owner of Die Tollhuis told a few climbers that no climbing is allowed in Boschkloof. Fortunately a friend contacted me and I advised them that they should ignore this person and continue in.

I also contacted the owners of Boschkloof to let them know what had happened. The owner asked that I let everyone know that this person(s) have no right to stop you going into Boschkloof (so long as you have a permit of course).

The Die Tollhuis owner has erected a sign (see below) which can be ignored. He has also put more thorn tree cuttings along the road and removed the path marker that we put in place. Please (carefully) step over the thorn bushes at your earliest convenience (so as to avoid getting too close to the Die Tollhuis establishment).

Thanks,
Justin
Attachments
now_now_climbing_boschkloof.jpg
now_now_climbing_boschkloof.jpg (125.03 KiB) Viewed 744 times
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

proze

Postby proze » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:36 am

What is it to him if people climb there? :?: Is there some history between him and the Boschkloof chap?

mokganjetsi

Postby mokganjetsi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:51 am

mmmm could it just be that he does not know of the new arrangements? if he does, i guess he just managed to lose whatever climbing clientele he had.

Justin

Postby Justin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:41 am

proze wrote:What is it to him if people climb there? :?: Is there some history between him and the Boschkloof chap?

I do not know what they think. The Die Tollhuis owners have told climbers in the past that they own Boschkloof (which they do not). It may be a case of jealousy? And/or a belief that climbers pollute the area? (which is ironic considering they have poured bucket loads of petrol/oil to kill vegetation and keep the dust down :!:

Take another area that is currently closed to climbing, Gamkaberg: A person trusted by management said 'climbers are bad' and the management stopped all climbing there (in fear of climbers doing bad deeds). After some time, climbers that management knew/trusted went and spoke to the management there, explaining what climbing is about and educating management. Now it seems that climbing at Gamakaberg will soon be allowed again.

mokganjetsi wrote:mmmm could it just be that he does not know of the new arrangements? if he does, i guess he just managed to lose whatever climbing clientele he had.

What is clear, from the number of incidents/unpleasant run in's over the years (and almost literally this weekend - be sure to move far off the road when you see a vehicle coming)... Die Tollhuis owners are no friends of climbers.
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

mokganjetsi

Postby mokganjetsi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:53 am

pity. i have some friends (climbers) who stay there regularly because the Tolhuis is dog-friendly and they've only ever had good things to say. whatever......... just suuuuuper stoked that we can climb in Boschkloof again!

RainbowDave

Postby RainbowDave » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi Willem

Please let them know that Rainbow Glen in Montagu is both Climber Friendly and Dog Friendly :thumright

Thanks
Dave

micky

Postby micky » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:31 pm

Bosch, badkloof and donkerkloof are dog unfriendly so unless you're climbing at keur kloof which is also dog unfriendly but i dont think anyone checks, there is no point bringing your dog ... which for some unfortunately means less climbing in montagu.

Justin

Re: Bosch Kloof Access Permit

Postby Justin » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:24 pm

There is a new path to access Boschkloof.

Walk past Legoland down the road.
- Approximately 10 meters before the 'No No Climbing' sign turn right and head up the hill. You will see Cairns and also that the bush has been cut back.
- Head up to the metal stake with a reed on it - Be sure to keep on the right hand side of the metal stakes (the road will be on your left).
- Follow your nose / cairns and when the kloof comes into site move right.
– Continue on the path going slightly up the kloof (over scree) and then drop down (left) to the old concrete reservoir.
– After the reservoir, continue right up the old jeep track.

Stay on the right of the marker poles at all times. So long as you do this, so long as you have a permit - you may enter Boschkloof.

Please builds cairns as you go :thumleft:
We will hold a path build sometime in the near future.

Purchase your permits here: http://www.montaguclimbing.com/boschkloof/
Attachments
boschkloof_path_01.jpg
boschkloof_path_01.jpg (194.54 KiB) Viewed 576 times
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

XMod

Re: Bosch Kloof

Postby XMod » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:07 pm

Wow! Watalot of hoopla! Sometimes private ownership of property is a b#tch! In France they have worked all this nonsense out ages ago by declaring natural areas as common property, no-one living adjacent to a natural area can block public access to the area (by law - some good comes of Communism :wink: ) rather like the way our beaches work. Hopefully one day we will realise the wisdom in such arrangements.

Thanks for negotiating and arranging access though! :thumleft: Some good routes in that kloof.

robertbreyer

Postby robertbreyer » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:03 pm

So we just spent the weekend on Montagu. Visited Bosch Kloof for 2 days.
Well done Riki and Justin for getting us all access again.
We climbed @ Ramset, Forest and Bosch Crag.
The permit system works flawlessly.
Still my favourite sport climbing in the Western Cape, almost as good as Boven :)
- Robert and Trish
PS We lost one of my loooong DMM quickdraws somewhere in the Kloof. Will trade you for a new draw of your choice if you find it (am particularly attached to this one as you can tell).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 8.58.17 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 8.58.17 PM.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 477 times

XMod

Postby XMod » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:00 pm

Tut tut Robert you have your biners facing opposing directions - much safer the other way. One draw penalty :wink: :lol:

robertbreyer

Postby robertbreyer » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Greg, you need to send that complaint to DMM, the photo came off their web site.

Wes

Postby Wes » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:02 am

Hi Robert,

We found a draw at Ramset crag yesterday, I assume it was this one. It is currently with Grant. Im sure he will be at the gym sometime soon.

GClamp

Postby GClamp » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:15 am

Hi Robert

Was going to put on a post this morning about finding the draw but I see you beat me to it.

Will drop it off at City Rock sometime this week :thumright

Cheers
Grant

Warren G

Postby Warren G » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:16 am

I have my draws that way round: much easier to clean.
Sandbagging is a dirty game

Social Media

Return to “Access & Closures”