Lengths of Table Mountain Abseils

General climbing discussions. Climbing, Bouldering, Mountaineering. Anything!!
**Keep the arguments to the suject, not the members!
Xharlie

Lengths of Table Mountain Abseils

Postby Xharlie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:47 am

I was trying to find the lengths of the abseils on T.M. and didn't succeed. Specifically, I am looking for these ones...

• Abseil on the right of Arrow Buttress (takes you back to just above the std. bag spot) (only just possible with one 50 metre rope, afaik)
  • Bombay Duck abseil (45 metres?)
  • Staircase abseil (the ones you reach when you walk a few metres to the right of the top of the last pitch) (Honestly can't remember any details on how long it was)

EDIT: Also mentioned in The Ledge: a peg at the top of the third pitch of India Rubber, supposedly for use abseiling 40 metres, back to the base. Question: is the peg safe? Really?

Xenomorph

Re: Lengths of Table Mountain Abseils

Postby Xenomorph » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Xharlie wrote:Also mentioned in The Ledge: a peg at the top of the third pitch of India Rubber, supposedly for use abseiling 40 metres, back to the base. Question: is the peg safe? Really?

Peg and one rusty Bolt, but I would back it up, but that's just me.

Cormac

ant

Postby ant » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Abseil on the right of Arrow Buttress (takes you back to just above the std. bag spot) (only just possible with one 50 metre rope, afaik)
- If you're talking about lower buttress - it's a smidge over 25m - be careful with one 50m rope. Easy with a 60m
Bombay Duck abseil (45 metres?)
- Just over 45
Staircase abseil (the ones you reach when you walk a few metres to the right of the top of the last pitch) (Honestly can't remember any details on how long it was)
- 25m + 35m = 60m (actually a bit less - maybe 55m total) I presume you mean left. You finish staircase and go 6m left to what used to be 3 bongs. That has since been replaced by two abseil bolts. If you go right through the cave you eventially pop out at the toilet terrace.

Always tie knots in the end of ropes, and know how to prussic. My memory is subject to clarification...

Ant

Andy Davies

Postby Andy Davies » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:42 am

On the old bong / staircase abseils I believe a 50m will reach the ground with stretch. Can anyone confirm this please? [I have 2x 60m ropes with 50m markings]
AndyDavies

Social Media

Return to “General Postings”