Higgovale Quarry

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
CareyAnne

Higgovale Quarry

Postby CareyAnne » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:50 am

Hi Guys

Does anyone know whats happening with Higgovale Quarry (Glencoe Quarry)?
I went up there yesterday hoping to climb and it is completely shut off with a big green wrought iron fence and locked gate.
Are we not actually allowed to climb there? Or is just a short term thing while they are filming or something?

Regards

Carey

Justin

Re: Higgovale Quarry

Postby Justin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:32 am

Hi Carey,

Anything is possible, that gate has been locked before (keeping vagrants out of the area I suspect - the irony!)

See this particular post on Higgovale/Glencoe Quarry. I have inserted the letter between Paul and Peninsula Permits below (I recommend printing it out and taking it with when you go there).

See also: Gate at Higgovale
With regards to getting in, either do the easy scramble down or abseil in.
Let us know if you have any further issues there.
Cheers,
Justin

Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Cliff

Postby Cliff » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:44 am

The gate is just a deterrent. To get in walk up the embankment to the right of thre gate and then do a slight scramble down just behind the gate.

alvaourr

Postby alvaourr » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:49 am

Like Justin and Cliff says don't worry about it too much.

@ Justin: I'm just playing a bit of Devils advocate here, but did you notice the disclaimer saying the mail is intended only for the recipient and that not copies are allowed? :wink:

Not trying to start a whole discussion just something I saw.

chowell

Postby chowell » Wed May 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Some climbers were asked to leave the quarry by rangers on Saturday. Has the MCSA or anyone else managed to obtain clarity on access? I was under the impression that climbing was allowed there.

jeff

Postby jeff » Wed May 09, 2012 10:23 pm

I just climbed over the embankment on the right. Think the rangers were just flexing their muscle..because they were bored, but agree with Carey, print out the note and keep it with you.

Wes

Postby Wes » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:37 am

So once again this morning a number of climbers were kicked out of the quarry by rangers for not having a permit. Does this level 2 activity permit go for the Quarry as well.

And on an aside, I will not be buying permits to climb until san parks starts looking after paths to the crags and funding the rebolting of sports routes. I have had enough of the money grabbing scum.

BitterBeanChris

Postby BitterBeanChris » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:07 am

Did that happen today?

Very strange, went there last weekend on Saturday for a 3 to 5 session without any problems. Same counts for the weekend before that, we normally take the pathway up and around the right side of the green gate.

Wes

Postby Wes » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:09 am

Yip, Sunday morning. As long as the mountain men dont see you, you should be fine. :)

BitterBeanChris

Postby BitterBeanChris » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:35 am

Haha,

I spoke to a few people and they are definitely not allowed to chase you away. Maybe we must just start an ANGRY MOB.

Andy

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:41 pm

ya i was turned away yesterday. first the rangers told us that no one was allowed in the quarry at any time, then they changed there story and said we needed a level 2 activity permit.

i have been climbing there for 7 year, just unlucky to run into rangers the one day we had a sick highline meet planned :evil:
if your not living on the Edge...
... YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH SPACE!

chowell

Postby chowell » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:07 pm

I don't understand why the rangers spend so much time harassing climbers. We are obviously an easy target compared to the muggers. Also Higgovale and Boyes Drive don't involve strenuous hiking for the rangers.

Social Media

Return to “Access & Closures”