Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Tick Marks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:51 am 

Couldn't help but notice at this weekends roc rally that a couple of routes had the f**k ticked out them. One in particular was Club Tropicana at Super Bowl. The tick marks were massive and pretty much every single grip, including monstrously obvious jugs got the same unsightly treatment.

To whomever did the ticking, won't you please clean up you tick marks while you clear the draws from the route and try to keep your ticking to a minimum.

Ta

Post subject: Re: Tick Marks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:39 pm 

Hey Mark!
I do own up!
It is me with the tick marks deed. i did over do it there, redpoint day mania set in too hard on the day,sorry bud. :roll: ... besides few other things ...
apologies, i am in ct now- I will try to organise the cleanup regardless otherwise i can only promise you that if i travel to boven again soon i will make sure that the route is spotless clean regardless the upcomming rain season and any other attempts at the clean ups.
Thanx and goodbye
V

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:50 pm 

:thumright You'll have to get your partner in crime to do the 'dirty' work :thumleft:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:01 pm 

Oh, good job with the music on Saturday night, you seemed to take charge!

How was the head on Sunday? :drunken:

The next question is, with tick marks like that, were you guys going for the onsight or the flash? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:21 pm 

we did onsight another route as the ticks were too large for onsight :lol: he he he

Post subject: tick marks!!!?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:40 pm 

The topic has been touched on before, but what I saw yesterday when walking past Twin Fins, Montagu really made me angry, I think I know who it is which makes me very sad on top of that. The older climbers should be setting an example. Every single hand hold and foot hold had been ticked, various lengths, with a blob of chalk from the start to the finish. The tick mark on the crux hold on King Tut was so thick it made the hold slippery. There have also been huge tick marks on almost all the popular routes, some being almost 20 cm long. Now I know sport climbing has it's freedoms and lack of rules or ethics, but this is where I draw the line and chirp up. Could the responsible party please go and sort the situation out and I would like to hear of some way of preventing this kind of thing happening, it seems it is the done thing. If you need to have each hold marked out for yourself then stay in the gym and leave the pleasure of climbing out doors to those who respect it and enjoy the little challenges a sport route has to offer or at lease clean up after yourself. This needs to be stamped out, any suggestions?
Stuart Brown.

Post subject: Re: tick marks!!!?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:26 pm 

I guess the same solution as with the stompies & general littering (which seems to be acceptable at Bronkies nowadays - saw a bunch of stompies tucked neatly into the mud at the base of a climb......), whatever that may be. Problem or me is that somehow I (or no-one else for that matter) ever sees who actually does it, I'd gladly take a dump on that persons' car-bonnet.

A spotter with a silenced sniper rifle, we don't want to upset the wildlife.... :batman:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:37 pm 

Hi Stuart

In my opinion the culprit should be given reasonable time to respond to your request. If no action is taken to clean up his/her mess and you are sure you know who it is then name and shame.

Russell Warren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:32 am 

I fully agree, stu!
For some sport climbers part of the fun is the challenge of finding where the possible holds are, and figuring out our own sequence. Chalked up holds on their own are dead giveaways already, especially on popular routes, like Eddy of Bovidence, for example - there's ALWAYS chalk on that route. But we have grown to accept that and live with it.
But tick marks on a route.... please respect fellow climbers who enjoy the thrill of working out the sequences for themselves.
Tick marks are an eyesore and please try use your eyes to see the holds at the rock presents them to you.
If you want the holds to be that overly obvious, then rather stick to gym climbing with colour coded holds. IMO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:54 am 

I don't like tick marks either but the response here seems a bit extreme. And I know many respected climbers who use them. Isn't it more about personal preference?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:07 pm 

Hi Paul

In my view it is not about whether you should or should not use tick marks, "to each his own" in that regard. It is about leaving your tick marks all over the rock when you are done with the climb. I think it is a bit selfish to leave marks all over the climb. It also looks bad.

Russell Warren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:12 pm 

Hey PaulB,

Nothing wrong with a tick mark or two if you are working a route and the hold is hard to see from below. I don't think anyone has a problem with that. However, if you have to mark every single hold and in addition, don't clean off your tick marks after sending the route, that's a problem.
Chalked up holds on the other hand, are just an unfortuanate by-product of a popular route on a popular crag, don't think you can blame individual climbers for that!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:15 pm 

Agreed Paul, telling people to stick to the gym is not cool, lets not get the same attitudes I suffer each day surfing filtering into climbing. The gentlemanly/womanly aspect of climbing is something to be cherished. That said tick marks are an eyesore, use them if you feel its necessary to do your project but then clean them off afterwards!!! We should also clean the chalk off each hold after doing a route as excess chalk is also an eyesore and there is evidence to suggest that acids in our sweat accumulated in the chalk can weaken flakes over time. So keep it clean guys! The hikers passing by may not want to see a white highway leading up the rock every three meters! They have as much right as us to enjoy a pristine environment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:28 pm 

I am no fan of ugly tick marks but I actually love the look of chalk on rock, especially orange rock, it sort of brings a face to life, it becomes a sequence that can be visualised, a pattern that is the climb, for me there's nothing more aesthetic than a sweeping wall dotted with the chalk, really. Ticks are unpleasnt though, they are not part of the climb whereas I think the chalky holds and the rubber are, the fusion of human effort and nature, not dissimilar to a piece of art. Thats only my opinion, not sure many people would agree.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:11 pm 

I think it was about 2 months ago that some imbecile chalked up a highway on "If women were gods" at bronkies, the amount of chalk on the biggest and best jug you can imagine was quite astounding. First of all you can't miss the jug, and secondly I can't see how you can slip out of that jug even if it was covered in oil. There was chalk smeared all over the face and to top it off the fart can't even spell her name (or his girlfriend's name more likely). I washed the graffiti and the worst of the random smears off close to the bottom, but no use I guess. I think it is a good idea if we all just attach a toothbrush to our chalkbags to clean up when we are finished, you take your quickdraws off in any case so why not clean up? Or just blow off the excess chalk from your hands after you chalked up. Ok, I also use chalk and I'm not overly concerned about a bit of chalk left over but lets keep it to a minimum, and clean up a bit when it gets bad. I get confused with the andrew p's and paul b's (who made who :shaking2: - can we get an angus young smiley please?)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:57 pm 

i was climbing at the twin fins on saturday, and i guess at the age of 39 i am squarely in stu's sites as the older climber in question. However, we climbed the sisterhood - the left hand route and in fact none of our party has ever been on King Tut. In fact i was surprised at how unchalked the sisterhood was considering the angle of the rock. much less than about 4 months ago.

I did notice the glaring white streaks on King Tut tho. Lowering off i had a closer look and i think that at least some of them, certainly the really long ones are birdsh!t - there are a lot of pockets on that wall and swifts etc are nesting at the moment. Be that as it may, the discussion point is valid. on sunday we were on thruster which is a veritable tick fest with great star bursts converging on some holds. I agree with all the points raised - tick marks are unsightly especially on our dark rock. I'm not sure if toothbrushing will get rid of the marks tho.
chalk out of the rain is remarkably persistent.it's probably better to scorn the practice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:59 pm 

Wow Andrew I can really see the passion there. Thanks guys for your comments and it seems like the tick marks are not really wanted. Paul, there is ticking and there is TICKING. Some holds will have tick marks on them, the bottom crux of Cool Like That or the little crimps at the top of Pointbreak. A small smear or hard to see foot hold might have a spot of chalk to aid detection, yes this could be part of the routes character that developes over time. I'm on about big tick marks for obviouse jugs and ticking every single hold and foot hold on the whole route. Please guys think about the others and clean the marks, take a tooth brush with you and leave the route in the same state that you found it if not in a better state. And I am seriouse about the guys who do not want to respect that, please stay in the gym, or go surfing. I can also tell the diference bettween bird shit and chalk marks I was climbing the route and cleaned the stuff off. Lets all have fun and respect the others too.

P.S. Just spent the whole day putting in over 20 bolts in what could be the longest single pitch climb in Montagu 50 - 60m, walk off the top, grade 18 -19 ***** will keep you posted when I'm finished!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:38 am 

"I am no fan of ugly tick marks but I actually love the look of chalk on rock, especially orange rock, it sort of brings a face to life, it becomes a sequence that can be visualised, a pattern that is the climb, for me there's nothing more aesthetic than a sweeping wall dotted with the chalk, really. Ticks are unpleasnt though, they are not part of the climb whereas I think the chalky holds and the rubber are, the fusion of human effort and nature, not dissimilar to a piece of art. Thats only my opinion, not sure many people would agree."

Actually Andrew, I agree with you on this one. I know the "nature purists" don't like chalk on a route, but I think it brings a good line to life.

Post subject: ticked off by tick marks
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:35 am 

as far as i know the ethic with tick marks is that it is fine to be made on hidden grips, and should be brushed off after your attempt to not spoil the onsight attempt for the next climber. a couple of trips to two of my favourite destinations (Boven & Truitjieskraal), has revealed some rather excessive and even inexplicable practice.

at Truitjies most of the easy routes where dappled with tick marks on even the most obvious grips. not only does it look ugly but it is completely unnecessary and the culprit left their handiwork to spoil onsights for for the next climbers.

at Boven somebody took it to the next level on Dead Ant (21 at Hallucinogen). the route has been violated with white stripes up to 15cm long, and looks like a an ugly attempt at doing Indian warpaint. completely off-putting and left as is. the base of Baboon buttress (easy routes area) was also littered with cigarette stubs, tomato sauce packets, red bull tins and other rubbish. dare i say all this right after the Tuks Explo weekend :evil:

come on guys, leave the route as you found it. or in a better condition.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:59 am 

Tick Mark Master