Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:35 pm 

Been feeling a little flat lately. Any good non-caffine based energy bars out there?
Or what have you found works well for big walls/long days out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:28 pm 

water
water
water
oh and did I mention WATER.

I have found that on days that I forget(or too lazy) to fuel my body with food(happens most days at crags) , simple hydration keeps me going.
I discovered this on a route that was supposed to take us 2hrs, it ended up a 5hr slog and we had skipped breakfast. Well needless to say, we were ravenous 2 & 1/2 hrs into the route. I found that by keeping hydrated, the lack of food did not effect me much, and the hunger pangs passed shortly after they arrived.

I do however find that if I have been working a route/problem etc, the following help to give me a boost after a slight rest and rethink:

Cashewnuts
Peanutbutter
Tuna
Biltong
Light to digest fruit
water

just my two cents worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:01 am 

I can't think of the brand right now, but the energy bars that most of the fill stations stock. Really chewy. Flavours like strawberry, lemon & lime and pineapple. If I remember correctly it's got a dude jumping a hurdle on the wrapper. Other than that : 500g peanuts and raisins, big box of smarties and a zip-lock bag. Put contents in bag and shake it all together. AWESOME!! It's like grabbing a hand full of Snickers everytime! Don't know about the fat content though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:17 am 

Nuts any assortment. Or snickers bars in the UK, bit like Bar Ones with nuts in them.

When I was in Yosemite a few years ago, there was a guy in camp 4 selling bomber bars that were a combo of peanut butter and nuts etc, tasted ok and were good for energy - bunged you up though (which I suppose is ideal for Big Walls! :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:30 am 

The original Power Bars, I think work the best, but it seemed people didn't like the taste of them. I love GU, it might not taste that good, but easy to digest and it works. Lots of water as AC mentioned it is probably more important that energy bars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:16 am 

Thanks guys, tried that Energy Bar, works like a bomb, keeps you going strong for 45 mins or so. Real chewy - takes 20 mins to eat it :) Pop a couple of those every now and then and you should be fine. Also tried peanut butter and provita, works quite well just bring a plastic container. Thanks for the fluids tip, probably where I was going wrong. Think I will give the tuna a miss though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:10 am 

Beer and slap chips :)