It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:00 am 

Hi guys. I am travelling to cape town on the 10th of june and will be around for a month. I am from the blue mountains in australia and looking for some local climbers to climb some of your classics in the area. I will be bringing a rack and rope and looking for relaxed climbers to do some adventures. It has been a last minute booking due to family circumstances. Any info on must do climbs and where to find relaxed stoked to be out climbers would be appreciated. Also any safety precautions i should be aware of cheers

thanks guys

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:36 am 

Must do climbs on Table Mountain:

Jacobs Ladder (16), Atlantic Crag (18), Roulette (21), Farewell to Arms (22), Magnetic Wall (18?), Arrow Final (10/11), Fraser's Variation (13), Bombay Duck (17)...

Good place to meet climbing partners: www.cityrock.co.za - rock climbing gym in Cape Town.

The weather is not great around here in June usually, but there maybe a clear day or two with enough sun to dry everything out so that you don't have to swim up the chimneys.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:21 am 

See also:

* Trad Hit List
* SPort Hit List

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:00 pm 

Awesome thank you looks like a good list. I found that you have granite climbing near a town called paarl. Is it safe to travel to town's like this with a girlfriend and go hiking and climbing. Coming from australia you would not think twice about going and camping. I am aware that this is not the norm in sth africa, but is it safe enough to go and hike and climb at these places. I would like to at least hike around some of your climbing areas if the weather is bad.
cheers

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:52 am 

Hi there

Paarl is about 30-40 minutes from Cape Town, the climbing is great fun (once you get your head around the idea of smearing). The town is here and the climbing is here.

There are plenty of places to hike on Paarl Mountain around the climbing and it is safe for you and your girlfriend. I'm not sure about camping in the area, I don't think it is allowed but there should be campsites in the town or surrounding areas.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:41 am 

There's no shortage of backpacker hostels around too.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:59 am 

There is a camping site 5 minutes away it is called berg river resort it is in Paarl.

Nic Le Maitre wrote:
Hi there

Paarl is about 30-40 minutes from Cape Town, the climbing is great fun (once you get your head around the idea of smearing). The town is here and the climbing is here.

There are plenty of places to hike on Paarl Mountain around the climbing and it is safe for you and your girlfriend. I'm not sure about camping in the area, I don't think it is allowed but there should be campsites in the town or surrounding areas.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:45 pm 

Paarl rock is definitelyworth a visit, but there are better places around (all quite safe):

In CT - Table Mountain & Lion's Head (trad) plus a bunch of sport crags.
Within an hour from CT: Paarl rock; Hellfire crags (sport & trad); Kleinmond (sport). Hellfire has fantastic climbing and is imho one of the most underrated crags around.
Within 2hrs: Montagu (mostly sport and a great, characterful village to explore). Camp at De Bos.
Within 3hrs: Cederberg Wilderness which includes Rocklands (bouldering & sport), Truijieskraal (sport) and Sanddrif (sport & trad). The Cederberg is world class for both trad and bouldering, with pretty decent sport.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:22 pm 

hi guys. I am looking for someone to go climbing with next week. I have a rope, draws, and trad gear for adventures. I climb sport to 24 and trad to 22.. keen as to get out, i can shuffle what ever day will work. there has been some great weather lately and pretty keen to get out to some of the crags.. ph 0765024469 cheers