It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:08 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Pretoria crags
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:54 am 

Ok I know about the little bouldering spot in Farieglen reserve, and yes I guess harties and bronkies is not TOO far. But is there anything else in or close to pretoria that's simialer to Stubens valley or the Northcliff crags in JHB? Nothing perhaps in the magaliesberg range going through Pretoria?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:49 am 

I saw some intresting smallish bits of rock on Simon Vermooven Road(or Watermeyer Rd...not quite sure). Thats somewhere sort of close too Ford in Wateloo. Anybody checked this out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:01 am 

Been looking through Google Earth for possible crags.

Have a look at this one (lat : 25°43'37.66\"S Long : 28°26'44.89\"E). Crime might be a issue, it's quite close to mamelodi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:42 am 

I have also been eyeing that crag for quite some time now. Have asked around a bit and everyone I spoke to that knows that area advised against it. Seems to be in the \"dodgy\" area of Mamelodi.

There is a crag closer to PTA also on that road near the prison which also doesn't see visits anymore due to crime. I believe there was an attempted murder on a climber afaik.

There are a couple of nice grags close to my house, but they are all on posh private property, so access will be a problem. This is out on Atterbury road.

One place that I have climbed at, and totally kicks Struben's Valley's ass is located just North East of Pretoria. Faces there are as high as 30M in some places, and there is potential for about 100+ routes plus bouldering. I used to live close, so I frequented the place quite a bit. The previous owner sold the place, so I'm not sure about access these days. (I could phone them and find out). This is really an awesome place with a bushveld feel 20 minutes from Pretoria. Be prepared to trad or rig anchors from trees and rocks. I am also interested to go out there again so give me a shout.

That is all the PTA climbing that I know about.
Let us know if you find something cool.

- twiga

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:50 am 

twiga wrote:
I have also been eyeing that crag for quite some time now. Have asked around a bit and everyone I spoke to that knows that area advised against it. Seems to be in the "dodgy" area of Mamelodi.

There is a crag closer to PTA also on that road near the prison which also doesn't see visits anymore due to crime. I believe there was an attempted murder on a climber afaik.

There are a couple of nice grags close to my house, but they are all on posh private property, so access will be a problem. This is out on Atterbury road.

One place that I have climbed at, and totally kicks Struben's Valley's ass is located just North East of Pretoria. Faces there are as high as 30M in some places, and there is potential for about 100+ routes plus bouldering. I used to live close, so I frequented the place quite a bit. The previous owner sold the place, so I'm not sure about access these days. (I could phone them and find out). This is really an awesome place with a bushveld feel 20 minutes from Pretoria. Be prepared to trad or rig anchors from trees and rocks. I am also interested to go out there again so give me a shout.

That is all the PTA climbing that I know about.
Let us know if you find something cool.

- twiga

Crags out on private property attebury way...sounds interesting, I live quite close to Menlyn mall. Mind posting the details of how to get to the crags NE of pta, might be worthwhile to go out there and see if one can chat to the land owners about access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:40 pm 
I will be visiting Pretoria at end July. Work trip so can only climb 29th or 30th July (weekend) and would love some buddies or a babysitter to climb with. Can only bring shoes, harness, belay - no rope!

ANYONE else got any ideas or help with my need to climb - anything!?

Or if anyone know of a wall in Pretoria that can be bounced onto of an evening?

Never been to SA before and all I keep hearing is crime crime crime - is it that bad? Would it be a bad idea to rock up somewhere by myself?