It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Faders SUM Belay Device
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:56 am 

Is there any one that’s used this device before? Would like some feedback

http://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/GZItem.asp?id=1980

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:56 pm 

If you are a sport climber this device is the Bees knees dude! Ive had one for a couple of months now and am super chuffed with it.

It takes quite a bit of getting used to, but once you figure it out its bone dead simple to use. The device should be held with the thumb and two big fingers of one hand with the other two fingers firmly wrapped around the free end of the rope ready for the catch, angle it away from you slightly to ensure a smooth feed. The other hand just pulls through rope in either direction. Its virtually impossible to mess up, unlike the grigri which is really awkward to strip rope from without letting go the free end or blocking the lever (both not a good idea!) Lowering is a tad snatchy at first until you learn to work gently with the lever.

If youre a sport climber I'd recommend the SUM any day over the grigri. If are more into trad then you probably dont want to bother.

(...right Faders wheres my commission...?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:35 pm 

A few years ago Trango came out with the \"Cinch\" & even though I haven't seen anyone else using it in SA, I must say it is a good device & to all intents & purposes works better then a Grigri. Once again one has to be accustomed to it, but it is a lot cheaper then the Grigri & a lot lighter & simpler. I would go so far as to say that I believe this device works better then the Faders SUM & is by far my preference when it comes to build quality. The review of the Faders SUM by \"Climbing\" magazine gave it the same glowing report that Grigri did however, so try it out for yourself!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:29 am 

Judging from reports coming back from the trade shows happening in Europe there will soon be a whole lot more new belay devices on the market to confuse us and chose from. It may be worth waiting until they are released and arrive on our shores to see what else is available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:16 am 

Here is a link to a review on the Faders SUM
http://www.planetfear.com/review_detail.asp?r_id=747