It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:08 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: double climbing boots
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:08 am 

What are a good pair of double climbing boots and crampons? Preparing for a guided climb of Mt. Rainier, south side, no glaciers. They recommend heel bail/toe strap crampon style. Not doing any vertical ice climbing. I like to buy as few pieces of gear as I can, so I'm willing to spend a little extra to get something that is more versatile.

Last edited by odette on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm 

For Rainier, you don't really need double boots, most guides wear LaSportiva Nepal Evo as their boot of choice. It's a good all round mountaineering boot. Personally I'd go with the LaSportiva Batura 2 Gtx, it's super light, probably warmer than the Evo, but it is a more technical boot well suited to ice climbing. If you do want specifically a double boot then I'd go with LaSportiva Spantiks, very warm, awesome lacing system that is easy to use wearing gloves and for their size and warmth the also quite light. You might also want to have a look at the Boreal GI light, I haven't used them myself but they do look like they would suit your needs.

As far as crampons go, BD Sabertooth would be well suited for Rainier, if you think you may at some point get into technical water ice climbing then BD Cyborg would be a good choice as they would serve both purposes. Both models come with option of front bail or basket configurations, if your boots take a front bail then personally I'd go with a bail rather than a basket, i find it usually fits the boot better.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:12 pm 

Seconded. I've climbed in Nepal Evo GTXs in -25 C weather no problem (with Cyborgs too, ironically). Gaiters, maybe, but I would just sew an elastic strap on the bottom of your pant legs. I would spend my money on a good belay jacket:

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-ch ... olorID=428

Will have you feeling like you're still in bed under the blankets in some surprisingly bad conditions. :)