It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:29 am 

Hey there!

I'm planning on going to Asia (Hong Kong and Shanghai) during December, and would like to know what are the procedures and restrictions on bringing your own climbing gear.

Firstly: does climbing gear (60m rope, quickdraws, harness, carabiners, chalkbag, etc) count as sporting equipment? and if so, do the airline give an additional weight allowance (KGs) for the equipment?

Secondly: What can you take as carry on luggage? I've read that draws and ropes cannot be taken as carry on and has to be checked-in luggage? is this true?

Lastly: I know that these two destinations are not "prime" climbing spots, especially Shanghai, but has anyone climbed there before and/or have any recommendations?

Would really like to get some insight from everyone. :mrgreen:

Much appreciated!

Thanks,
Sunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:39 am 

Check out this thread:

- Flying with trad gear...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:58 am 

I do know HK has some great looking climbing and bouldering. I have a mate who lives there and he produced the bouldering guide, but he doesn't climb much anymore.

I'm sure you've googled yourself, but there's a wealth of info here

http://hongkongclimbing.com/

Personally if I was travelling I wouldn't want to have any more than I could carry on my back, so limit yourself to sport climbing gear. If you pack light you can easily fit sport gear plus some basic clothes (i doubt you will need much warm weather gear), this way you easily get under the baggage allowance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:00 pm 

Sunny,

Where are you flying from?

If it's metal, check it in. Speak to the airline directly regarding sports equipment allowances. (who are you flying with?)

HK: Trekking is better than the climbing, bouldering is better than the sport, sport is better than the trad, IMHO.

hongkongclimbing.com has finally been updated (yay!) - some good info there. Get hold of ChrisF's buddy's bouldering guide.

Central Crags are good for half a day/maybe a day. Tung Lung Chau is good for a day, so long as it coincides with low tide (might need a local to navigate the ferries). Cape Collission is new, but looks amazing (time for me to visit again). Bouldering at Shek-O is cool. Locals are friendly - try to link up with them at a gym.

Shanghai is a wicked city, but it's built on mud flats. Nothing to climb for miles and miles. Rather enjoy the city - food, architecture, jazz, nightlife. Ni hui bu hui shuo putonghua ma?

If you're looking for climbing, get a budget flight from HK to Guilin - Yangshuo will be in season. (Might need a multiple-entry China visa if you're going back to HK before heading to Shanghai.)

Pete Mortimer should have more views on China. Seoul also has good climbing - Paul B has good insight into that city.

HTH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:08 pm 

Wow! shot for all the advice! :thumright

Will be flying from JHB. Actually just checked with Cathay Pacific, and sporting equipment will be counted as your normal luggage weight allowance of 20kgs. But they say nothing about not allowing the rope to be as hand luggage. Will be calling them to find out more.

Yeah, i was reading up on HK climbing, and it seems like they have quite alot of stuff going on there... not as hectic as Guilin / Yangshou or Thailand though, but I'm not looking to do very serious climbs, so that will do for now. :wink:

Yeah, Shanghai is a delta so not much outdoor climbing there, but heard that if you go inland to Suzhou/Hangzhou there might be some crags there.

Actually, I am originally from Hong Kong, but grew up in SA, aka a banana... :lol:
Going to Shanghai for my wedding, and for a holiday, so thought I might as well experience some "overseas" climbing. :P

I'll definately try get hold of some locals to see what they recommend.

Maybe at the end of the day, I'll just go with my harness, chalk bag and shoes... hate feeling like I'm doing something wrong at the airport with a massive amount of gear... hehe.

Thanks guys!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:25 pm 

chongkie wrote:
But they say nothing about not allowing the rope to be as hand luggage

Not sure it's worth the risk TBH. If they don't let you take it on you are screwed and will have to leave it behind.

Good luck with the trip, Never made it to HK, still plan to sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:16 pm 

Put the rope in a pillow case. Hand luggage no worries, but don't hold me to it.

013 257 0363
rocrope dot com