Quantcast
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: CapeNature Permit Costs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:07 am 

Greetings all

Cape Nature tariffs can be found here: http://www.capenature.co.za/docs/2387/T ... -2014%20(2).pdf

The bad news is that a permit for
-Tafelberg or Krakadouw now costs R300 or R360 for 3 days (depending on whether you get charged the conservation fee on top of the activity fee).
-Riviersonderend and Suicide Gorge costs R240 per person. Ouch.

Any advice on how to get a better deal would be appreciated. Seasonal permits?

Regards
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:04 pm 

Hi Dave

Yes you get charged the conservation fee as well as the activity fee. You can get a wildcard but all that covers is the conservation fee, still have to pay the exorbitant activity fee. (as far as I know)

Amazingly suicide gorge was R120 per a person last year and I thought that was ridiculously expensive, now its R240!!! Last year I took a group of kids down suicide, no discounts for scholars nothing. It was R160 a kid with conservation fee added on. How can I justify taking kids into the outdoors when they can go to Ratanga Junction, play around of golf, watch movies etc. for cheaper, never mind fuel costs.

In 2008, it cost R20 conservation fee and R28 activity fee in the Cederberg. It now costs R60 conservation fee and R100 a day activity fee. Over 300% increase in five years. R130 trail fee a day to walk in the Groot Winterhoek plus the conservation fee?? This is far more expensive than most private campsites. I can understand paying for a hut or to camp at one of there campsites but why must I pay such a high conservation fee and then an even higher trail fee, when I am sleeping in the wilderness??

How is Cape Nature allowed to get away with this? There mission statement is all about benefit for all and all this bull but unless you earning good money using the outdoors is no longer a viable option.

I need to do a number of hikes to receive a qualification unfortunately it just seems like it is just going to be a bit unfeasible with these prices. As Dave mentioned if anyone know anyway around these prices you input would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:55 pm 

The link is really helpful thanks. It however was not quite right so here is again: http://capenature.co.za/docs/2387/Tariffs%202013-2014%20%282%29.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:34 am 

cape nature grrrrrr......

a few of us can afford the fees, albeit grudgingly. as for poorer communities - no way jose.

scandalous.

time to get the press involved............

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:02 am 

Government money is going to more important things - Nkantla, paid suspension leave for half the civil service, etc etc etc

Managing state resources for the benefit of the people ranks poorly.
Departments like DEA and under them Cape Nature are being told to 'make the assets support themselves'

So it becomes a poorly run parastatel (for-profit) game reserve...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:31 pm 

This really does me head in. I'm a frequent visitor to Suicide Gorge over the summer months and in the past would begrudgingly allow myself 2 or 3 trips a season. With them doubling the price this year, that's not going to happen anymore. Now one trip will have to suffice, but even that is a serious battle with this price increase. Getting a group of okes to commit to some dodgy-named adventure on a date weeks/months in advance was never easy - asking them to now pony up R280 for that pleasure is something else entirely. Just last week I made a booking for 12 this December. R3400 invoiced - what an absolute dream that's going to be to administer.

Nah, this is bullshit. Unless they revise their pricing, I'll pay one trip a season. The other times I'll just rock up saying I plan to hike in the reserve with my wetsuit secretly tucked away in a backpack. R280 is laughable. Quoting Leon Schuster, "'n Grap is a grap, maar jy maak nie 'n sambreel in 'n man se hol oop nie."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:57 am 

Hi Andrew

If you are just taking a group of friends, I would suggest just doing what you say. Just say you going on a hike up to Landroskop.

I have been there many times and never seen any rangers. The only thing you notice is the ill kept paths that are causing massive erosion by triple falls. Makes you wonder where all the R280 are going?

Just make sure no one gets injured because it is going be a kak one explaining that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:21 am 

Do as you like but do remember that:

Virtually every time WSAR has rescued someone from Suicide Gorge it is because the rangers have noticed that people are overdue in the kloof. So telling them where you are going is a good idea. Secondly, there is a new manager in charge of the reserve now and they have actively been improving paths and signage in the area, including building a proper path from Junction Pool to the path out of Riversonderend kloof. I do agree that the pricing is however excessive. Unfortunately we don't have any influence on the "higher-ups" in CapeNature who set the pricing structure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:58 pm 

Just great, Suicide Gorge has been closed for the 2013/2014 season. Got the call earlier, saying all bookings have been cancelled due to something or the other washing away. They hope to be up and running again in November next year. :?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:07 am 

I'm guessing that it probably was the bridge over the river close to Triple Jump Falls, you can just wade across the river there but it seems they feel that you should not get wet when going kloofing...