Quantcast
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:04 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:55 am 

Hey SA climbers or travellers,

I'm planning to visit my grandmother in Pretoria from the 25.01. until the 08.02.14. Between my flights I would love to do some trad or sport climbs in the area and it would be great to meet some nice people.

At the moment I'm not sure what equipment I'm going to bring with me. I'm fully equipped with trad gear so let me know what's necessary to climb in Gauteng.

Some facts about me: 33 years, ~77kg, 178cm, climbing since 2009, leading up to grade 23/24 in the gym/sport or 20/21 in trad routes. In general I favour trad climbing over sport climbing but sometimes it's relaxing to have some more bolts and challenging to do some hard moves at the limit of my skills.

So please leave me a reply, send me a PM or write me an email. I'm looking forward to any response.

Regards, Kai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:53 am 

So far I got just one response. Thanks Emile. We're booked flights and accommodation and now I'm keen to discovers your crags. Does anyone have a recommendation for car rental?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:24 pm 

In my experience, car hire is the one opportunity to really rip tourists off, as locals rarely use hire cars. Stick with the main companies, check best insurance excess and exclusions (some don't even cover driving on dirt roads) and pay up!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:45 pm 

... and 'Best Beetle' is not an option.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:00 pm 

Chris F wrote:
In my experience, car hire is the one opportunity to really rip tourists off, as locals rarely use hire cars. Stick with the main companies, check best insurance excess and exclusions (some don't even cover driving on dirt roads) and pay up!

Yeah, especially if you want a 4x4 they rip you off. I'm going for the smallest category because of that, hope that "mini" is bigger than a Smart :?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:23 pm 

I have used Tony's Car Hire <tony@sacarhire.co.za> on several occasions for Boven trips from Joburg Airport. Seems to be good value.
http://www.sacarhire.co.za/

I don't see why ripoffs should be prevalent in car rental per se. One would have thought there's sufficient competition to keep prices fair. Don't go for the prepaid petrol though --- that is predatory. (You pay in advance for the petrol in the tank and then they keep it for free.)

The International Driving Permit: now there's a real ripoff.

For most trips I use http://www.rentalcars.com/ and everything has gone more or less smoothly and I have never felt ripped off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:29 pm 

yavin wrote:
I'm going for the smallest category because of that, hope that "mini" is bigger than a Smart :?

A hire car can go anywhere a 4 x 4 goes :lol:

Mini will be bigger than a smart, usually something like a Peugot 106. Never say you want to pay a little bit for an upgrade when you collect at the airport btw, it usually means they have none in the specified category available, and they need to upgrade anyway, just trying to get more cash out of you.

It just seems to me in the past that foreign tourists are the only ones to need to hire cars, whereas everything else is used by locals too, but maybe I'm just paranoid. I don't think there's competition, most are in a consortium to fix prices. Luckily I've usualy borrowed a car from a relative!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:20 pm 

Chris F wrote:
A hire car can go anywhere a 4 x 4 goes :lol:

You're right, but normally usage of gravel roads are not permitted and damages because of that are excluded by the insurance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:39 pm 

yavin wrote:
You're right, but normally usage of gravel roads are not permitted and damages because of that are excluded by the insurance.

I stand corrected but I don't think they differentiate between tar and gravel roads here (there are so many gravel roads here). Roll your vehicle and you will probably pay more on insurance.
A call/email should answer the question.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:06 pm 

Last time we hired there it defintely said in the policy insurance was invalid off tarred roads.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:20 pm 

I stand corrected. I just called Avis to inquire...

Their waiver (they don't do insurance because they are not a financial company) does not cover you in any way whilst on dirt.
If you had an accident on dirt, you are liable for the full cost of the damages (even it happened on a 1km patch in between two tar roads).

You are not able to get 3rd party insurance unless you are a business or hold a corporate account with them and you would most likely need to meet face to face with a representative at Avis to discuss details.

So... take it easy on dirt :thumleft:

I can remember checking our (extremely dust ridden/mud covered) rental in after one of the Boven Rallies, the cleaning guys were not happy! Luckily the manager waved us through.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:24 pm 

They also don't cover "single party accidents" so you are OK if you hit another vehicle, but not if you hit a goat, springhare, buck, pothole or cow.

So don't just take it easy on dirt, take it easy all the time!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:22 pm 

Hey guys, should I take a GPS-Unit from the car hire? Any recomendations on iPhone apps?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:01 am 

Hey,

I regularly use Motion-X for overseas climbing and driving holidays - primarily because you can download the maps onto your phone. Other apps (e.g. GoogleMaps) save the maps in cache, which inevitably gets flushed just when you need the GPS! Not sure if others have recommendations?

Just remember that the GPS sucks battery - use it sparingly.

And, from previous experience in downtown Jozi ... suggest keeping a spare Nokia 3210 in the glove box, in case a friendly local forcefully requests a donation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:01 am 

So the date of my arrival is near. Anyone who wants to climb during the week? Is there a gym in Pretoria? Next week I have to prepare my luggage. If there are any things I should bring over let me know. Since it is summer down there I will have some spare in my suitcase.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:32 pm 

Now I'm almost a week back in Germany and I want to thank you all very much. The SA climbing community is really kind and hospitable. I enjoyed Bronkies and Boven very much. Next time I'll spend more time at the crags. Boven is definitively on my tick list now! Good that my aunt got a house there :wink: We will see if the renter are gone when I'm back.

God bless you all!