It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:54 pm 

Climbers are reminded of the closure of The Canyon in the Kloof Gorge annually, from 16 August to 31 December.
The crag is closed during this period as a pair of Wahlbergs Eagles are nesting close by. Failure to comply with this restriction could result in the permanent closure of the crag.
Your cooperation is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Waldo Bekker
Manager Krantzkloof Nature Reserve
T: 031 764 3515 or 082 412 1101

Climbers are reminded of the closure of The Canyon in the Kloof Gorge annually, from 1 October to 31 December.
The crag is closed during this period as a pair of Wahlbergs Eagles are nesting close by. Failure to comply with this restriction could result in the permanent closure of the crag.
Your cooperation is appreciated.

Kind regards

Johann Vermeulen
Manager Krantzkloof Nature Reserve
082 931 8335

Last edited by Justin on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Topic go Announce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:28 am 

Why is it that a few idiots always threaten access for the "line toe-ing" majority?

I spoke with Johann first thing this morning. At this stage he is just posting a friendly reminder as a result of complaints from the general public (who are watching the eagles) and know full well that climbers are not allowed at this venue during this period. This annual closure has been in effect for over twenty years and was agreed upon, at the outset, as a condition to allow climbing at this fantastic venue.

The guilty party/ies knew full well they were in the wrong as they covered their tracks by not signing the climbing register - another condition of climbing in Kloof Gorge. I must remind everyone that Kloof Gorge and the relationship that climbers have with Management is unique in that 6 out of the 8 crags do not allow access to the general public - only to climbers! This is quite a privilege, the only proviso being that we must sign the register to declare our lofty status as "climbers". The register also provides data that can be used to defend our ongoing interest and access to these privileged areas of the reserve. The management does check at the end of the day that everyone has signed out - a final check that no-one is in any trouble.

I will arrange some signage (pictograms only - no words) to be placed on the gate for those numbskulls who are unable to read or think ... just able to pull hard on small holds.

Jeez.....

mumble, mumble, mutter, mutter.....expletive

Roger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:46 am 

I'd just like to support everything Roger has said. The closure is well known among those who can actually climb at the Canyon.

You obviously know who you are. Shame on you!

Please sign in when you're going to any crags in the Gorge. It only takes 3-7 minutes out of your day..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:21 am 

Kloof canyon is the Table Mountain of Durban (OK with bolts... but without crowds).
And Johan Vermeulen is a legend - he really cares about Kloof and even cares about us - he does check up if you don't sign out again.

The numb-skull who causes us to lose access to Kloof will be excommunicated, exfoliated and executed...

Do the right thing!

C ya,
Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:45 am 

Has there been any incident this year of people sneaking in???

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:48 pm 

If these climbers do result in permanent closure of the canyon can we have a name and shame policy (if anyone knows who they are)?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:39 pm 

While I was in Boven I had the pleasure of meeting and befriending some of the best (and most awesome) climbers from KZN (all of the female variety). They were at especial pains to try squeeze in climbs in the canyon before the season closes. I must wonder - what motivates a climber to go against the rules of a venue, the ethics prevailing in the current community, and the spirit of togetherness?

I have so much respect for the hard women of KZN - if they can hang up their projects to respect the climbing hiatus (eagle nesting as an aside) - why can everyone else not abide? Such a strange concept for me...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:19 pm 

More points, more points dear man. Please respect our crag and our access arrangements.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:33 am 

Just a note to, Keep this page on the main forum. So every KZN climber can get the msg.

But I would like to take this opportunity to thank Johann, the Manager Krantzkloof Nature Reserve.
I don't think many climbers realize the amount of work, effort and pride, Johann has put into Krantzkloof for us climbers (neither did I, until recently, so not preaching) . About 14 years ago is was mugged at kloof, walking out after a climb and back in those days muggings at krantzkloof was a common thing. Not any more, since Johann took over.
Johann has Point markers at all crags and GPS co-ordinates to aid rescue workers in case one of us get hurt, There is maintained LZ (landing zone) for rescue choppers. Johan is trained in rope work and recovery and has aided in several rescue in the george.
All paths to and from crags are maintained, only for us. It is not uncommon to bump into his polite well spoken ranges at a crag, it just gives you that safe feeling.
And If you don't sign out (presuming you singed in), a ranger will walk to the crag to check if you are not in trouble and on a common occurrence a ranger is not available Johann has and does walk to the crag, himself.

So to Johann on behalf of all Climbers in KZN.
THANK YOU!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:49 am 

I have made this topic an Announcement - so it will be always show up at the top of the Access & Closures forum.

I also added it to the Wiki.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:12 am 

Stick it on the main page too Justin?

If climbers can't respect a closure due to Eagles nesting what hope is there?

I wish my local crags were closed for something as amazing as an eagle. Rather than being inaccessible due to hordes of squawking shitting gulls.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:46 pm 

Chris F wrote:
Stick it on the main page too Justin?

If climbers can't respect a closure due to Eagles nesting what hope is there?

I wish my local crags were closed for something as amazing as an eagle. Rather than being inaccessible due to hordes of squawking shitting gulls.

Fantastic idea Chris, Just came back from cape town and the Rocklands, I don't think you cape climbers have the right to complain about your crags. Best area i've ever climbed in. (im taking it you are from cape, if its eastlondon you refering to, sory. :thumleft: )

I think Climbers forget that Kloof is a nature reserve first, then a view for Rich people, then a climbing area, We as climbers dont even pay for the use of it (like the pic-nic noncs) But i know Johann likes it that way as he assumes that climbers are like him, Nature loving people.

And the eagles are fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:52 am 

Nic Gear wrote:
(im taking it you are from cape, if its eastlondon you refering to, sory. :thumleft: )

Not quite

Quote:
8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:14 pm 

I read in the newspaper that an eagle chick died, is this the 1 from Canyon? :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:23 pm 

Please note:

The entrance into the Reserve in Watsonia Road has been permanently closed. Access is now from the Bridle Road Gate (next to number 52). If anyone needs more information they can contact the OIC at Krantzkloof Nature Reserve on 031 764 3515 or 082 412 1101.

Also please note that the Canyon is out of bounds from the middle of August (and not October as noted on MCSA website). This is because the migrant Wahlbergs eagles that nest here return at the beginning of August and start breeding straight away.

Related Articles:

- Seasonal closure of The Canyon – Kloof Gorge
- Kloof, Durban – PLEASE fill in register!!!
- Seasonal closure of The Canyon - Kloof Gorge (forum thread)
- Krantzkloof Nature Reserve – Watsonia Road closure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:29 pm 

Oh dear. Has a reason been given for the closure?