Quantcast
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:53 am 

Hi, and sorry for having a bit of a rant, but I'm getting rather upset about this.

Yesterday was the 3rd time in the last month that we (myself and my family) had a close call with an attacking dog in the mountains.

The first time was at Coppermine (3 weeks ago). Myself, my wife and our 2 kids (baby and 5year old) went to the boulders and Kleinplaas dam. A lady came past with her dog (not on a leash) at the time my wife put our baby on her back in the baby-carrier. Suddenly the dog just went for her. The lady tried to grab his collar and I yelled at it, and tried to get my boy out of the way. Her excuse was that the dog "got a fright".

After that we walked at Red Hill, and on the way back people passed us with 2 large dogs running free. As we went past one of the dogs went for my boy (5). I managed to get in-between them just in time and warded off the dog with an attempted kick.

Yesterday me and my boy went for a climb up on Elsie's Peak. Returning to the car we met another woman walking her large black labrador. Just as we passed them the dog suddenly went on attack mode and went at my boy. I managed to step in front of him just in time, yelling at it and lifting my foot for a Jet li kick of death. The woman managed to grab the dog by the collar and I quickly got my boy in the car and gave her the most evil look I could manage.

I don't know what the solution is, but I'm really sick of people walking their large, agro dogs without leashes. I'll need to take some pepper spray or a big stick with me in the future, because it seems like it's becoming more and more frequent??
Should I get in contact with Cape Nature and ask them to enforce leashes more?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:27 am 

Pepper spray the dog. Then pepper spray the owner. Also when they don't pick up the k@k that their dogs leave everywhere. :thumleft:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:51 am 

haha yea that's what I think of doing. Since it's mostly the owner at fault. The dog is an animal, it doesn't know any better, but the flipping people who doesn't foresee that they're "free-spirit-attitude" is endangering others and especially small kids deserves a good face full of pepper spray.

Yea nothing like a trail run that ends with a foot full of dog poop!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 am 

Pepper spray does not work on all dogs - note how riot cops with dogs wear masks but dogs don't.

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:24 am 

Gustav wrote:
Pepper spray does not work on all dogs - note how riot cops with dogs wear masks but dogs don't.

hahaha good point!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:38 am 

I was concerend by the title you wanted to do something to your dog in the mountains :lol:

Sounds like bad news especially where young kids are concerned, is it legal to tazer dogs?

Last week in England an 11 year old was mauled to death by an American Pit Bull.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:57 am 

ShaolinWood wrote:
large black labrador... suddenly went on attack mode
You sure it was a labrador?

Get one or two of your own (dogs I mean).
Worked for me.
:afro:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:19 pm 

Ammonia mixed with water works well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:23 pm 

ja sjeez dude sorry to hear about the experiences!

some thoughts that came to mind:
definitely the owner's responsibility to control & clean-up after dogs
but please do not equate these events to reality in general..... most dogs i have encountered in the mountains are friendly & well trained
and be aware that a lot of people feel unsafe outdoors due to the prowlings of the most aggressive of creatures: 'em humans. hence taking the pitbull for a walk (btw, pitbulls are some of the most gentle dogs around when brought up in a loving environment with proper training).
and just last week around a 1000 people were stabbed / shot / beaten to death by other humans in south africa :roll:

Are your kids overly fearful of dogs? Fearful behaviour can provoke aggressive reaction. btw, barking & growling does not necessarily mean "i'm attacking"; it can just mean "stay clear".
Perhaps get a puppy and teach your kids how to be confident around dogs? dogs are awesome, loyal, fun, protective & a great way to teach kids responsibility. but if you get a dog take all the responsibility that's required for it!

hope the sh!tty experiences did make your kids negative about dogs!
Attachment:
dog-kid-1.jpg
dog-kid-1.jpg [ 44.32 KiB | Viewed 1163 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:37 pm 

Hey mokganjetsi, thanks but yea we have 2 dogs, and the problem is that my kids are not cautious enough around dogs.
So after yesterday's experience I'm telling them to stay away from large dogs.
The problem I have isn't the fact that people are taking their dogs out. It's the dogs that's not on leashes.
I spend a lot of time in the mountains around here, and I encounter many dogs that's OK, but the fact that there's been 3 incidents involving my kids scares me.

lelikegogga: I don't really know if it's areal labrador, it just looked like one. Big dog, black, has fur. haha

People should just be considerate. And I know it's probably not going to change and there's nothing we can really do about it…
And yes I guess they do take their big scary dogs to ward off evil people that's robbing others, but having it on a leash would work just as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:52 am 

I've had a few massive Basotho dogs threatening me in the Drakensberg. It can be a tad scary - especially when you know that you don't have cell signal and are far from help. What we normally do is get everyone in the group to stand close together and laugh loudly - dogs and baboons seem to find this intimidating for some reason. We also threaten the dogs with rocks and trekking poles (although rocks usually work better). Last time I had a scary experience with this was in Jan this year - we had a 12 year old in the group of 3.

3 dogs attacked a hiker at Lotheni some time back - he managed to fight them off with trekking poles.

Re ammonia - that should work, but just remember that it is a really poisonous substance. You can get ammonia sprays (like pepper spray), but if you spray someone in the face with that it will usually kill them. Kind of makes you wonder why its legal for fast food restaurants to put ammonia in their burger patties and why it is considered ok to put ammonia in the tap water in order to extend the lives of the pipes...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 am 

What about those electric shock batons, you would get a bit close for comfort but it should sort the dog properly assuming it works through the fur which I think it should.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:42 am 

Ghaznavid wrote:
Re ammonia - that should work, but just remember that it is a really poisonous substance. You can get ammonia sprays (like pepper spray), but if you spray someone in the face with that it will usually kill them. Kind of makes you wonder why its legal for fast food restaurants to put ammonia in their burger patties and why it is considered ok to put ammonia in the tap water in order to extend the lives of the pipes...

You excrete (dilute) ammonia when you urinate... It's all a matter of the concentration of the ammonia in whatever it is, low concentrations won't hurt, high concentrations can kill. But that's true of everything really, from Oxygen to Vitamin C...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:12 pm 

Nic Le Maitre wrote:
You excrete (dilute) ammonia when you urinate... It's all a matter of the concentration of the ammonia in whatever it is, low concentrations won't hurt, high concentrations can kill. But that's true of everything really, from Oxygen to Vitamin C...

According to the WHO, anything above 2.4g per day in a 70kg person will have a shift in metabolism and will reduce their body's sensitivity to insulin. That is quite a lot of ammonia, but still. The body can handle small amounts of other poisons - arsenic, cyanide and mercury, doesn't mean we should voluntarily consume them in addition to what normally occurs in our foods. E.g. traces of cyanide in pumpkin seeds, mercury in tuna etc.

This is in danger of going wildly off topic :lol: