Quantcast
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:27 pm 

We are planning on going to everest and camping out for the night. The idea is climb a route, pitch our tent camp out and back down the next day.

Has anybody done this before? I am asking from the point of view of weather and the like. I know the weather could turn fast so I am concerned about lightning etc (especially if we sleep in a tent)

Any comments (preferable useful) or suggestions (also useful)?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:59 pm 

You're gonna haul a tent etc up a sport route?! Dont stress about lightning - if the weather starts looking dodge, u can just walk down and sleep in the ablution block at the campsite. But why dont you just climb the route, then sleep in the campsite anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:22 pm 

I've slept in the cave on top of the fourth pitch of Fight the feeling. It was a great evening and we had a party and braai up there. But we did haul up a truck load of stuff with us and did it for the experience (my bachelors) rather than the climbing. the overhang is big enough that no tent is needed.

alternately just run up and down it (the current record is around 50 min car to car) and sleep in the campsite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:16 pm 

Ja, I know, we could sleep in the car or whatever, but we are doing it for %$#@ and giggles mostly - we are tired of driving back from strubens and camping in the garden :lol: (I am joking!).

Douard, that sounds like an even better plan, Does the cave give you decent protection or did you guys take or need a tent? or must I just take two minute noodles and sleeping bags?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:14 am 

I've always wanted to spend a night in the cave on Mooihoek Mtn!!

A bunch of mates and I were planning to do it on New Years Eve a few years ago. The Management at Mt Everest were planning a fireworks display and party at the restaurant, and we thought it would be a great view from up there. For some reason though we decided to join in the festivities below instead of bivvying in the cave.

And some festivities they were..... one tom thumb cracker, a couple of Mike's SPAM sparklers, and not a single beer or solitary sip of champagne to be found in the restaurant :roll:

Well, at least it afforded Gaz and Tania a bit of space to enjoy their first snog session (which would have been unlikely had they been surrounded by a bunch of rowdy okes on the hard floor of a cave). Now, a few years later they're very happily married and have just sprouted their first little sprog!!

Aaah, Harrismith; place of beauty and wonder; place of new beginnings! I will be back sometime to spend a night in the cave!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:16 am 

Everyone has the right to opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Last edited by guest on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:48 am 

Umm, I've seen lightning in Harrismith loads of it, in fact once we deciced to sit out in the \"restraunt\" instead of the tent because we where concerned. (The sky was turning shades of purple).

About the cave, I never camped out there, but had to sit out some rain (I'm a bit of a rain God .. it's annoying :)) And had no problem and stayed dry in the cave.

But as Hector said, I don't really see the point, in my opinion instead of wasting time hauling ^&** up a sport route, I would rather come down and spend the time climbing another route. Anyway enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:15 am 

I think it is a great idea. If it is something you have not done before then why not. At least you can say that you have experienced it.