Quantcast
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:21 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:45 am 

Hey! I will be flying in from Kenya (originally from the US) to climb! One of my friends from USA is meeting me there and we would love to have some climbers show us the area! Also we do not have transportation, so beta on public transportation, ride shares, etc would be helpful. Also where should we climb? We are flying into Johanesburg. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:44 am 

Hi

Just some basics;

1. From the moment you walk out the international arrivals doors you are a potential victim. So do not take kind offers of taxi's or any form of supposed assistance- because you will get ripped off. Instead walk straight to the escalators & upstairs to the Gautrain. This is a secure zone & from there you can get to Sandton, Rosebank etc. Do your research on where you should stay, depending on your budget, but once again do not be a sucker. Anything that involves low cost whatever in the middle of Joburg is to be avoided.

2. The only reliable form of bus service is the Gautrain buses. Otherwise mini bus taxi's are as bad as anywhere else in Africa - your choice. There are some public buses running around & they are ok - again your choice. Probably better off with a hire car.

3.Go to Wonderwall or rockfit to meet climbers. Contact the MCSA beforehand & get the meetlist & any other assistance from them. Most climbers are friendly & there are a few sport crags withing an hour or 2's drive, so it should not be that hard to arrange to go with a group to one of the local spots.

4. Trad is different but the kloofs (gorges) are spectacular. Once again speak to the MCSA (Johannesburg or Magaliesberg sections).

Good luck & Have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:59 pm 

Thanks so much for the info! I doubt we will bring a trad rack with all the weight restrictions on flights but if anyone wants to climb trad with us, that has a rack, I am down!

What is MCSA? How do I contact them? Thanks!

Also my friend and I decided to spend about a week near Johanessburg and then fly to Cape Town- so Cape Town climbers please contact me as well!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:49 pm 

MCSA = Mountain Club of South Africa. If you want to go tradding in the kloofs, they control the access. Unfortunately they have yet to learn that money translates to impact, and membership translates to money, so it's not exactly like the Alpine Club or the Access Fund where you can just join with a credit card. Since you don't have a rack and access to the kloofs will be difficult, I would just go to Boven.

Try checking in here closer to your trip and you'll probably be able to find a ride to Boven. Also check the SA Climbers Lift Club group on FB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:45 pm 

Hi there - would love to help show you our awesome sites. what grades and type od climbing do you do?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:21 am 

I think Mike J puts it quite well, whilst missing the point that he actually makes - the MCSA are very aware that people who can just pay for access will increase the impact on the land - hence the criteria for those that join the club to actually become members & know what the ethics of the club are.

It is indeed people who wish to just pay for membership over the web with a credit card that are likely to cause environmental impact as they wander around cluelessly on land that they have paid for club membership for but have no knowledge about. Besides which going out to the land with a member a few times would actually help.

This is in fact symptomatic of a society where everything is up for sale but people have no values. So you want access but you are unwilling to meet the other members of the club... well I say the club is better off without people with that attitude.

Besides this neither the Access fund or the Alpine club actually provide you access to land - you still need to pay for entry & abide by the rules of whatever venue you are going to. Nowhere else can you just pay & go onto climbing land without abiding by the landowners requirements (so in this case Mike J's rambling is just BS). In actual fact we should start some of these types of clubs where everyone can donate money for general outdoors improvements be it for the 4x4ers, Adventure racers, Mountain Bikers etc. The assumption that the Mountain Club should facilitate this for everyone is probably actually a bit much.

To our visiting foreigners (& anyone else with a desire to enjoy nature & the kloofs) you can access the Mountain Club's private land with some cheap permits. Just contact the Mountain Club of South Africa & ask about permits & meets. They will most likely provide you with precise information as to how to go on an outing with them.

As for people who just think it's all about the money...has it occurred to you that the club might not want you on their land...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:29 pm 

If you are in Joburg area for a week, forget MCSA hassles of trying to climb in the kloofs and sort out permits, or hanging around the big smoke hoping to meet freinldy climbers, just go to Waterval Boven, stay at Tranquilitas or Roc n Rope, clip bolts and get your kicks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:48 pm 

hey there, I'm also in visiting from the US and am keen to do some climbing. ill be arriving in the JoBurg Airport on the 5th also, and was planning on renting a car. I didn't bring any gear, but will probably grab some shoes anyway.