Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:46 am 

I am wanting to know if any of the other once young climbers who now have kids and a real job could give me some pointers on which areas are kid friendly (shade, flat) and where good climbs for kids are (could not be in kid friendly area!).

I will be going this weekend with kids from about 5-8 and have not been there for a long time. I am looking for 14-16s and then even 17-18 with sections of positive holds not too far apart (you can easily pull the young ones up to the good areas).

In this regard I know Steeple used to be great (think there was a long 17 which even my then 4 year old had some fun on parts of it) but I believe the grass at the bottom has been washed away and I am not sure if you can walk there from De Bos along the river or if you have to drive out the town and cross the river now due to the last floods?

Finally, where is the best place to get updated guide to Montague as I have an old western cape book and I believe it is going to be updated soon so dont want to buy another one now? I would imagine this site?

Thanks

Lance

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:22 pm 

Legoland has afternoon shade and is great for kids. Probably the best place in Montague. I don't think there are many routes there that are not in the current Western Cape Rock.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:55 pm 

Hello

Regardless of the places that are recommended, please remember that your children are stronger that you are. Its cool to start on routes that are easy for you, but remember not to limit their progression because of your limits. They may just end up being the next top SA climber:D

Legoland and the Steeple are good beginner areas:)

regards
Ebert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:57 pm 

The wiki on this website is the best place to look for any updated route guides in the country

http://www.climbing.co.za/wiki/Montagu

peace
eT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:07 pm 

Never mind what Smartass says, there are some real limitations to children climbing well;

1. Most adult routes are impossible because the grips are spaced too far apart - so prevent the children from becoming despondent by finding your own routes on large boulders that are "feature" rich.

2. Overhanging stuff does not initially build confidence so avoid conventional boulder problems & look for the right type of climbing. Naturally once they are going you can move them from slabby stuff to overhanging stuff with big grips - typical Cedarberg type stuff.

3. Height can be an issue, so go gently. Remember a 6 ft man may be able to do the climb in 4 moves, but this may equate to a much longer climb for someone who is 3 ft.

4. Do not limit them, but build confidence. Children learn by repetition & from each other, so doing one route several times with a group may get them further then always pushing them on to the next best thing. Let them have fun & learn to love the activity - just like climbing a tree - not because it's hard but because it is fun.

In no time at all they will be tall & strong with massive ego's - then they can tilt at every windmill...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:48 pm 

If my memory serves correct, there is a grade 9 and grade 12 sport climb at the Steeple. The 9 is quite short if I remember

I haven't tried them myself but I am sure the purpose of these routes were for young climbers or beginners. Therefore I can't say much about the holds etc.

I haven't been to Montagu since the floods, but when I was there in December the Steeple was good. It has one of the nicest bases out of any crag I have been to (Sector A).