Quantcast
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Drakensberg bouldering
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:32 pm 

Do you guys know if there are any bouldering spots in the Drakensberg?
Specifically near the Mahai camp in the Royal National Park? (I'd like to be able to reach the spots with hiking for the entire day :) )

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:15 pm 

Myself and Bugs did some bouldering at the Cavern last year. The rock isn't all great - I took a nasty fall on a really easy rock (about E-grade) when my foothold broke off. Bugs took a few nasty falls on top rope on the one face of "Blockhead" (which was the best rock we found - it has 3 good faces and 1 terrible face). So just be careful. Full details and GPS co-ords at:
http://www.vertical-endeavour.com/forum ... avern.html

I know there are spots near Mahai where people set up top ropes to abseil and boulder. I don't have further details though.

If you go to the Crack or the Mudslide there are chains and chain ladders on those - so easy to set up a top rope (although I don't know if there is anything worth climbing there).

Have fun - its an awesome spot :thumleft:

Btw. I highly recommend the gorge walk as a day out by the way (if you haven't done it before). Keep going past the chain ladders if you want a really good day out :jocolor:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:03 am 

Walk up the path to the Cascades from Mahai...you will reach several large boulders just after the Cascades...some of the rock is not that grippy, but it will be easy to find the hard stuff (highball above brambles in some cases). All the way up the hill are boulders. Normally I am looking for easy stuff for kids, so my criteria is different that a boulderers but I am sure you can find a few there...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:48 pm 

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to check those out.
cheers :thumright

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:34 pm 

I spend every Easter at Mahai and have bouldered/top-roped stacks. On the river next to the campsite is a large boulder with an easy up and down (kids love it) and 2 harder problems. A top rope (hard to set up) offers other opprotunites above the water.

A smidgen past Cascades (on the path, not river) there is some. Look for a quite steep west facing face with an 8m crack just, just to small for fingers. Can be aided by the bold. Bash in and remove enough pegs and soon it will have finger locks and bee climbable.

Go further up the path and cross the river toward Gudu Bush. You'll see them.

Thats about it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 pm 

Just come back from Royal Natal - recently trampled lines through the bracken, and a chalked up problem with an unreadable name on it. Nice to see action there. I also went further up to the Crack and Mudslide trail - some potential harder stuff right on the path.