It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:24 pm 

Hi climbers!

I am a beginning climber and am looking for a place to access some good deals on not too expensive gear. Was checking out some classifieds sites for used gear, like this one: http://www.gumtree.co.za/s-climbing+gear/v1q0p1 but wasn't sure where else is a good place to start..

Thanks in advance,
Jenna :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:30 am 

some tips on buying second hand:
preferably buy from friends that you trust - you need to know the gear is still in good condition
otherwise take an experienced climber to help inspect the gear before you buy
gear in a very good condition should sell second hand at a 20 - 40% discount to new retail prices
used but working gear should sell at a 50 - 70% discount (don't let somebody sell you a used rope for R1200 and tell you its a bargain; rather save up and buy yourself a new mammut transformer : https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/ind ... roductId=2)

check out this forum regularly - there is some good deals offered from time to time

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:57 am 

Good advice from mokganjetsi. I would more likely buy a used carton of eggs than a used rope, unless I know the owner well. Biners and other pieces of gear are either more durable or easier to inspect.

Also probably not a good idea to buy a ton of stuff right at the start. Get the basics (shoes, harness, belay device) and get involved in the community. After you've used gear and talked to people you'll have a better idea what you want to buy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:45 am 

I would second what Mike J said ... just get the basic gear (Harness, shoes, belay device) and then start climbing with people that already have the rest. Once you think climbing is for you, then slowly start to invest in some more gear.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:56 am 

Hi Jenna, I sent you a pm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:33 pm 

mokganjetsi wrote:
some tips on buying second hand:
preferably buy from friends that you trust - you need to know the gear is still in good condition
otherwise take an experienced climber to help inspect the gear before you buy
gear in a very good condition should sell second hand at a 20 - 40% discount to new retail prices
used but working gear should sell at a 50 - 70% discount (don't let somebody sell you a used rope for R1200 and tell you its a bargain; rather save up and buy yourself a new mammut transformer : https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/ind ... roductId=2)

check out this forum regularly - there is some good deals offered from time to time

Hi there! Thank you for all the useful advice. It has helped a lot!