It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: New climber, new gear
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:59 pm 

Hi guys and gals,

I am slightly new to climbing and would like to start acquiring gear. Harness, belay device, biners, sling etc (friend has a rope and quick draws I can use for now).

So I did what anybody would do. I went to my local climbing store to ask a bit and get some answers. Long story short, I was pretty much told to come to this forum and ask the members what gear to purchase. This upset me a bit as I would have liked to get answers from the assistant in the store.

So here I am, just an aspiring climber, asking other climbers, what gear to look at for you first purchase. What works, what doesn't work.

Thanks

P.S. Will obviously take my climbing friend with when I buy, but would like to know from you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:58 pm 

You don't mention where you're from?

Anyway, buy shoes first. A harness can be borrowed from a mate. Ditto for biners, belay devices, etc. Shoes can't. And they'll transform your climbing experience over tekkies. So yeah, shoes. Ones on the cheaper side of what's available and ones that fit you and aren't painful. Any of the Evolvs that fit your foot shape properly: https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/ind ... at&catId=3 . (Also, holy KAK but shoes have gotten expeeeeensive! O_o)

Harness, the Wild Country Vision or BD Momentum are both nice, and also cheap: https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/ind ... &catId=307

Belay device, BD ATC, Petzl Reverso, whatevs. Biner, a shiny cheap one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:59 pm 

Hi and welcome.

They all work, its what suits your needs and body shape that makes the difference.

Harness - must be comfortable, try a few out by hanging in each one at the store (if the store does not have a place where you can hang/try harnesses, then you may want to find a store that does.
The harness should be comfortable and fit you correctly (this is where you want your store assistant to know what they're talking about).

Belay device - most are good, possibly try a few out at the crag or buy the one that you are currently loaning.
Locking biner - a nice big pear shape biner is recommended.
Sling - Rather learn to use quickdraws to clean a route (over a sling).

See also:
- Choosing a harness

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:32 am 

Hi sports fans,

Thank you for the handy hints and tips, really appreciate it. I am based in Cape Town and predominantly do my climbing hear. I already have the cheapest shoes I could find and a chalk bag. Will follow your handy tips.