It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: cam slings
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:58 am 
What is the general feeling about replacing cam slings/webbing? I've got a set WC friends of the 'olde' flexstem kind (with the bare cable & round holes in the cam lobes), probably made in early to mid 90's. Used in trading around TM. When should I replace the webbing, how long does it generally last?

Post subject:
Any rope, webbing, climbing cord should be discarded after 5 years regardless of wether it has been used or not. Someone in Cape Town with an industrial sewer (breaking strain had been tested and approved) replaced my old cam slings with stitched slings. Stitching is stronger than tying a knot (and has better handling). I will contact him to find out if he is still providing the service and let you know on the forum.

Post subject:
A similar problem one encounters is with replacing the trigger wires on cams. I've tried weed-eater cord, builders' line, and fishing line (the plastic-coated cable stuff). They've all worked with some success, but all have their limitations. I know it is possible to order fancy repair kits from overseas manufacturers but they're way pricy. Anyone got a good solution or know anyone who can do a quality repair job?

Post subject:
The best way to replace dodgy tape is to knot it. Get tape or spectra cord and retro fit you cams yourself. The local 'restitchers' are not ISO 9000 compliant or rated to any decent standard. Do the job yourslef maan and save yourself a load of hassel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:59 am 
Hi, had no response from an email I sent re: restitching of cams. Can't disagree with Leo regarding re-tieing, your cam will only hold about 10 KN or so anyway (plus the $'s saved). Albeit I still trust my re-stitched cams :)

Post subject:
I tend to agree with Leo , retro fit your cams with spectra ,regarding rewiring cams , i do almost all Wild Country cams and just orderd new trigger systems for New WC cams I aslo have some Complete triggers for the Solid Stem Cams

Post subject:
With regards to the trigger wire, I bought trace wire (5.5mm I think) from MIAS fishing store (in JHB). They also sell the crimpping sleeves (get size 7 or 8). The only problem is that you can only buy the wire in 10m lengths for about R100, but you'll probably have enough to last you a lifetime. Chrz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:32 pm 
It largly depends how often you use the cams. Deon Trom of High Angle (CT) would be able to sew new slings on. But not the variety colours that the mod WC Friends come out in. Stiched is only slightly better because it's less bulky.

Replacing trigger cables is quite easy. The crip tool & side cutters can be baught at any electrical supply or hardware store for about R30. The conections from an electrical supply store. An old bicycle break cable can be found at every bike shop.

Post subject: not so safe, safe
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:44 am 
nice one derek, that's resourceful dude. It'll probably work better than the original wires.

Leo, I'm just posting this tomake clear what you said about replacing slings on cams with knotted spectra. DONT DO IT. spectra is ONLY good as a stitched sling. It does not have the same knotting properties as nylon tape sling and a tape knot with spectra will slip. Something to do with the properties of the spectra chemical compound that makes it have very little friction.

Get your runners stiched. I'm sure Glenn can do this aswell [backpacker;scavenger]