Quantcast
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:37 am 

To all the girls climbing well at the moment, I offer a bottle of Jack (or something similar if you don't like Jack) to the first girl that does all three of the following routes of mine at the Underside: American Idiot 27, Irreverence 25 and I Want More (Part 2) 25.

The gauntlet is thrown!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:45 pm 

In response to an email query - the bottle of Jack is for redpoint ascents of all three routes. I'll throw in a case of good red wine for onsight ascents of all three ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:43 pm 

Do onsight ascents by Lumberjacks count :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:04 pm 

Unless I'm very much mistaken – here are a couple of facts about Lumberjacks.

1. They cut down trees and press wild flowers, which is not a great way to interact with our natural heritage (assuming you are not destroying aliens).

2. They sleep all night and work all day, which leaves very little time to climb.

3. They go shopping on Wednesdays before having buttered scones for tea, rather than having a 4 training session – which means that they will be too weak to onsight these routes.

Now stop being silly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:45 pm 

To up the anty somewhat I reiterate my challenge to all SA sport climbers (making it a little simpler):

-The first girl wot rocks to repoint grade30 earns herself R100 and a bottle of something nice (like champagne, not Chanel #5!)

-The first man to redpoint grade34 earns himself R100 and a bottle of Jack Daniels (or similar, not Johnny Walker blue!)

-The climbers must be South African.
-The routes can be anywhere in the world but should be of a confirmed grade. In the case of the mens challenge an honest appraisal of the grade will suffice, be as strict with this as Clint was with Golden Handshake please.
-The routes should all be longer than two bolts (Flying Dutchman or the like will not suffice).
-No BS artists! Honesty is a virtue.

Come on Clint, Kaz, et al you guys are soooo close to being R100 richer and that much drunker! Go for it!

Once again I challenge all dealers and manufacturers (those making money from the sport) to equal or better my offer. Even a twenty rand contribution will help. Lets get a kitty going and encourage our sports people to push their limits and lift the level of our sport. All those who contribute will be recognised via an announcement in the press so your company will recieve acknowledgement and credibility from this.

Boulderers: I am prepared to offer a similar reward for bouldering but dont know what the top grade so far is? Is it 8B? (ie one grade up from the highest so far) If so first to boulder 8B+ earns a prize!

Damn Im gonna be poor! Go guys Go!!!!!!!

Last edited by Grigri on Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:55 am 

Hey Greg

Can Robyn claim the prize for climbing grade 30 retrospectively - she climbed Cantina Boy 5.13b/8a/30 in Rifle in 2001.

I obviously have a vested interest in her prize...

Ciao

Guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:04 am 

Everyone has the right to opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Last edited by guest on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:04 am 

Last edited by Grigri on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:14 am 

Last edited by Grigri on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:26 am 

The winner is......Ta DA! Robin Holwil!!!!!!!
I'll call you soon to arrange collection. Hope fully the site moderators will agree to putting up a photo in recognition of her acheivement.

The challenge now stands at a wopping 8a+/31 for the ladies, yes I am putting up another prize for this goal (damn I really am gonna be poor!). Start training girls!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:46 am 

As for sour puss Guest: If you had bothered to read my post properly you would see that the idea is to raise a more substantial kitty via further donations from those benifitting financially from the sport.

PS you owe Josune Bereziartu a pie! And Yuji says:'Please drink the bottle of Harpic yourself, perhaps then you wont talk so much sh1t!'

Last edited by Grigri on Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:52 pm 

Everyone has the right to opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Last edited by guest on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:31 pm 

Guest - I still dont get you? 99% of the time your comments are purely argumentative - So I am trying to understand the point? maybe you're mission is to stir up activity on the site (I even wonder if you work for the site) but most of the time you just %$@ people off to the point that they avoid reading your posts and I dont think climb SA want that. On the odd occasion you treat your comments a bit more seriously and you have a valid point of view - but usually its so intertwined in BS it is to tiring to figure out. Its a strange approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:18 pm 

Guest...I read you coments and crack myself laughing every time. You are a hoot!

No offence to the rest of the forum. Maybe I'm also sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:18 pm 

Grigri, I'd avoid any retroactive claims if I were you - It's not as simple as it looks. Gustav's guide to the Restaurant lists Jack of All Trades (30) as having been opened by Tessa Little in 1998. At the time she claimed it to be a 29 as it was harder than anything she had done before. Based on the opinions of those who have repeated the line, and considering that Tessa's prior hardest route was Snapdragon (now a consencus 29), you might have to fork out for shipping costs to JHB.
The alternative is to keep it all on ice for one of the new generation 30 crankers who are more likely to come from your part of the world than ours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:23 pm 

When I very first put up this bounty, some time ago, I had set the female goal at 31 but later thought I should lower the bar, unawares that not one but two SA women had already attained the 8a benchmark! One can only be impressed by the achievements of both of them.

There may well be contentions and readressing of honours, routes / problems may be regraded. Tessa's acheivement should of course be honoured, perhaps a conferring of honours could happen amicably over a few glasses of champagne :) ? As Robin is expecting soon, lets let Guy and her keep this bottle for now to celebrate with! Robin had thought of repledging the R100 to next womens award (first grade 31) thereby starting the ball rolling with the pledges and raising this bounty to R200. Perhaps Tessa could be as sporting and adopt Robin's idea?

Point is: this award is real, not just a bunch of talk on the i-net, if it all it achieves is to get people together over drinks thats not a bad thing. Hopefully, however, it will grow. It only takes a small contribution from a few people for it to already become something substantial, if it does, things will obviously become more serious and future awards will need to be carefully and considerately given.

Last edited by Grigri on Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:37 pm 

Is it all guys on this thread? What are you going to do if some 16 year old chick manages? Sigh. (Wish I could even do one of those) any simpler routes at the Underside?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:15 pm 

This is such an awesome thread! Way to go Grigri in trying to rally your country men and women to push themselves and SA standards.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:49 pm 

Last edited by guest on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:39 pm 

Mr Guest, you seem to be giving a damn (and the wrong impression).
Just thought you should know :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:01 pm 

Danny Pinkas of Rockfrog Resoles (who does an excellent job btw) has pledged a further R100 to the cause.

If a no-body like myself and a small business like Rockfrog can put up R100 each, surely there are others out there who can afford to put something up? Come on guys, dont be shy! Im opening the fund to anyone at all who wishes to contribute. All contributors will be recognised for their efforts both on this site and in an article to be published soon about this challenge and past benchmark sends by South Africans.

Last edited by Grigri on Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:14 pm 

The news just in is that JuzH has sent Two to Win at Oudtshoorn, a proposed 8c! We have a winner!
JuzH receives R200 rands and a bottle of something good to celebrate with.

(Remember that grades being subjective and subject to change, awards may be conferred at a later stage, as was the case with Tessa Little's Jack of all Trades. Robin and Guy are now the proud parents of a bouncing baby boy, once they have had a chance to surface from the demands of parenting a newly born hopefully we can get them and Tessa together for drinks and award ceremony.)

Last edited by Grigri on Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:21 pm 

A foot note to JuzH's awesome news is Karen Varga has sent Whoa She Poopie 8a and looks set to crack the 8a+ barrier soon.