Quantcast
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:33 pm 

Hi

Could anyone please give me some beta on the Mooihoek multipitch sport route visible from the Mnt Everest campsite? I had a look at the online route guide at http://www.mcsa.org.za/kzn/everest/mte-rds.html and there is no mention of the route.

Name, grade, number of pitches and turn around time for a party of 4 would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:58 pm 

If you are talking about the climb directly above the camp site along the black streak. It opens with an 18 the other 3 are around 15. (4 pitches)
The pitch lengths are all around 20 to 25m except one in the middle is
about 15m. I climbed it about 3 weeks ago very cool climb. I can not remember were I saw the RD but that is what I remember from climbing it so a lot of it is guess work(except the 18 grade) but it gives you an idea . There is quite a long run out on the second pitch that put the fear of God into me but is a very easy section almost a scramble once you get over the lip .Beware the
black stuff is dried out moss or lichen and makes the route quite dirty and
slippery at times. Also quite flakey in places. Didn't time myself but it took about 3 to 3,5 hours (again a guess)
Enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:57 pm 

Hi Ronnie,

Yup - the route along the black streak. Thanks for the detailed reply - much appreciated. Will definately give the route a go when in Harrismith next month.

Any takers on revealing the route's official name?

\"The multipitch sport route along the black streak visible from the Mount Everest(FS) camp site\" just doesn't really have a ring to it! :shock:

Cheers,
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:41 am 

Hi Paul

I just remebered something else while reading the forum about anchors etc. The 2nd or 3rd pitch does not have chains at the anchors. There
are 2 dodgy karabiners in place(through hangers). I went down second and saw how much
they were flexing and I was not a happy climber but I did not have any
spare ones on me to replace them. If you can fit chains go for it or be prepared to leave 2 gates behind. They look old and dodgy and I would not put my life in there hands again.

No idea on the name by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:50 am 

If I remember correctly it's called \"Big Air\".