Quantcast
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:37 pm 
** Please note that this project was cancelled
Editor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This subject has been debated to death but finally there is light at the end of the tunnel.

!!! YES, JOBURG IS GETTING A WORLD CLASS CLIMBING GYM !!!

This plan has been brewing over the last 3 years and it’s finally reaching some realization. As everyone has mentioned before that nothing like this is quite easy without good financial backing, just ask anyone who has tried.

Over the last 3 years we have been doing a huge amount of research and planning together with trying to tie down, what we thought would be the best location for this gym. Just like everyone else, we believed that one has to build a purpose built “warehouse” to accommodate the gym rather than trying to fit this into something that already exists.

So, we have purchased land sometime back and we have got it cleared with council for this type of business and we have also submitted plans to council who have approved them. We are ready to build!

The only short term block is that we need to put together a market survey for the investors so that they can sleep better at night when they write that big cheque. This is where we need all your help. We have put together a VERY short on-line survey and we would like you to please fill it in so that we can get over this final hurdle. Please get all your family and friends that you think might be interested in climbing, to fill it out. Every one counts.

Find the survey here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=381262656708

If you where at the rock rally you would have seen this survey floating around.

If you have any further questions, I’d be glad to answer them on the forum or off line at zafedg@zaf.sas.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:53 am 

So where exactly is this gym going to be and when do you hope to open it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:58 am 

If the gym ends up being anything like the ones on the website, I think it would do very well and would hopefully force hackers like kya sands to close down, every joburg climber that reads this post should respond to the questionaire, god knows we need a proper gym

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:18 am 
The location will be right next to the Kyalami Race track. One can never please everyone when it comes to location so we tried to make it as central as possible both to Joburg and Pretoria.

How long will it take? Well, that depends on the support out there. We can't quite work on the theory of 'build it and they will come'. There needs to be a bit more science. So if there is a real need out there then hopefully everyone participates in this survey and we get get this ball rolling.

Most of the homework has been done. We just need final stamps for finance and then we build.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:34 pm 

i dont know if anyone else has this problem, but i cant seem to get past the first page of the survey and actualy answer the damned thing. i would love to show my support, and if the gym is going to look anything like the ones on the touchstone site, we have a lot to look forward to. hope it goes well with the planning. cheers to the guys (and girls) behind this initiative

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:11 am 

Well from what I can tell, such a gym would have lots of support. Especially if it really is as cool as the gym on that website. (did anyone else start drooling when they saw that?)
Hey, good luck with the venture guys.

Post subject: new gym
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:13 pm 

It sounds so great but Kyalami is so far! Pretoria has a great gym, shouldnt it be closer for all the Jozi people? The road to Kyalami track is also not very safe to drive at night. Kya Sands is crap but MUCH closer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:31 pm 

I work 5 minutes from kya sands, but still avoid it like the plague and drive all the way to wits to train. I reckon if the gym is good, most people won't mind the drive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:42 pm 

I also think its a bit far (I live by the dome) but I agree that if it is decent it will be worth the drive although the drive would mean I wouldnt use it as often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:06 pm 

I think the location is great!! I suppose you can never please anyone. But if the gym is good, I am sure people will travel to use it.

In terms of the gym in PTA, it is really way out of most people's way anyway. I would much rather travel to Kyalami - especially if the gym will be a world class gym!

I can't wait for it to open!!

Post subject: Not Happening
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:49 pm 

The guy who was behind this initiative emailed the other day to say that after much thinking and due to personal circumstances, he would not be proceeding with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:06 am 

:( aaaa, that suks. would have loved to join a world class climbing gym. kya sands just gives me the kreeps. cant they figure out that they need to do something about a thing called safety? people can die in that place... :cry: hope someone builds a cool place soon....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:48 pm 

someone ought to delete this misleading headline post :wink: