Quantcast
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Marianne Pretorius
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:59 am 

Does anyone have any updates on how Marianne is doing? :(

Post subject: Marianne
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:52 pm 

The accident was a great deal more serious than either the report put out by the MCSA or the blithe statement on the Roc n'Rope website has suggested.

Marianne fell 12m when her climbing partner failed to tie a knot and abseiled off the end of the rope on which they were doing a double abseil. Her partner who fell 8 metres was miraculously uninjured. During the fall she hit her head doing in her climbing helmet. She was rescued from the crag by an amazing rescue team and then airlifted from Boven hospital to Johannesburg.

Marianne suffered multiple severe fractures of the skull and a broken jaw. She was operated on Monday at Milpark hospital in Johannesburg by a team of neuro and maxilla-facial surgoens. She regained consciousness on Thursday.

The power of all your thoughts will be needed to help her with what will be a tough recovery.

Post subject: Marianne
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:50 pm 

Blithe is quite a harsh word, Estia. I hope you are not implying that we think it is just another accident or that we don't care. I have changed our posting to be more acurate.

I was called out by the other climbers before starting a technical rescue operation in WB gulley with the local EMS and the MSAR teams who were on standby over the Roc Rally weekend.

There is a pic of her broken helmet on our site that does not aim to sensationalise the accident, but to send out a message to climbers that the days of being 'cool' when climbing with a helmet is back again.

I almost killed Alex (my wife) the other day on Moondance at Hallucinogen Wall, a route that we and lots of others have done many times before. A plate of rock broke loose from 6m up and hit her flat on the back. A blow like that on the head or neck could have been fatal...

The latest news from Marianne's fiance is that she has recovered well from her operation and responds to conversation with close friends.

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:11 am 

Hi Estia,

Just wanted to say that my thoughts are with Marianne and friends and family during this tough time. I hope all goes well and wish you all the best. I know that I am not alone in my admiration of Marianne's acheivements as a climber and her contribution to SA climbing. We hope to see her on the rock again soon.

Post subject: Good, better, butter!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:48 pm 

News from our correspondent on the ground (Oliver, Mariaan's fiancé) is that she has been walking and talking.

She is quite keen to get out and probably busy bribing nurses or looking for a rope to throw out the window for a quick escape!

Seriously, we are all relieved that she is getting better by the day.

People asked us where they can send well wishes to. I reckon just post them here and we will point her to this forum when she is back home.

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:27 am 

The latest is that Mariaan is back home and getting better every day. She is still bruised and in pain but getting stronger and sounds positive about recovery.

013 257 0363
climb @t rocrope dot com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:24 am 

Ahoy.
I have been climbing for about 6 years. I love it.
23 September 2006 I was involved in my first serious climbing accident
Together with my climbing partner, Danie, we witnessed Marianne and James’ accident. I was first to abseil down to them and being the artist type dreamer person that I am, I was deeply moved by the experience.
I guess I feel obliged to say something because it angers me that there have to be so much politics about what happened.
When the shit hits the fan, you just try deal with what’s handed to you the best you can. Fckups occur daily but its what happens afterwards that matter.
I was very impressed with the way that James handled the situation, enough respect.
It was extremely chilling holing Mariannes head and looking down on at her broken face (although she was still very pretty) but it made we realize how fragile we are, even Marianne, an icon in climbing.
What I want to say is accidents like this, in the end, is part of climbing. Luckily Marianne will be alright; unfortunately that’s not always the case. The only way to not just let it be another accident is if we all allow ourselves to learn something out of it.
Wear a fckn helmet, take time to think about were you are and always have respect for the position that you are in
Life is beautifully precious.
Thanx Gustav (whom without, a lot of cool climbing missions/events/rescues would not be happening), Danie, Elrika and Albert
:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:55 am 

thanks Stephani, that needed saying!
always keep it real!

Post subject: marianne pretorius
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:36 am 
Message for Marianne:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
take care patrick bender :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:46 pm 

Message posted on behalf of Marianne:

Hi.
Just wanted to make contact and send a word of thanks. I've just been reading some emails and web chats and once again, I am so amazed and very lucky to have so much compassion when it's most wanted.

I don't have any memory of what happened and who has done what but have heard many stories and names involved in the accident. What an amazing community to be part of! Thanks to everyone for your help, rescue techniques, messages, and doing the best job in getting me back.

I am just about back to normal and will be on the rock very soon!
Ciau
Marianne