Looking for Crashpads to Rent/Buy - June/July

Do you have gear to sell? Looking for gear? Wanted & For Sale. Post it here.
Pictures will help you sell your gear faster.
mkclimb

Looking for Crashpads to Rent/Buy - June/July

Post by mkclimb » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:41 am

Hi all -

Going to be headed to the Rocklands for the first time this summer - just booked tickets and psyched. Seems like the fee to try and bring crashpads with us from the US is going to be incredibly high, so figure it was worth it to check here and see what other options exist.

So . . . suggestions? Places to rent pads, or buy used crash pads?

Much appreciated,
Mike.

AndrewV

Re: Looking for Crashpads to Rent/Buy - June/July

Post by AndrewV » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:49 am

Hi.

Have a look here: https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/bou ... lr1jc.html

Or contact City Rock Cape Town

PeterHS

Post by PeterHS » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:54 am

Perhaps buy and sell after? I am sure the climbing community here shall advise and assist. Peter

Jade17

Post by Jade17 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:17 am

Hi Mike
I'll be heading to Rocklands too for the last two weeks of July. If you have bought pads and want to offload them afterwards let me know.

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 am

Thys at De Pakhys, just down the road from Rocklands, rents pads as far as I know
Happy climbing
Nic

Overide

Post by Overide » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:45 am

As well as the farm next door, Alpha Excelsior. They have a store room full of pads

NickT

Post by NickT » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:18 am

It is very easy to buy pads and then sell them afterwards. There are plenty climbers in CT that will happily take them off your hands if the price is reasonable. You can get various pads at City Rock or Mad Rock pads at the shop at the bouldering gym Bloc11. In my honest opinion the Mad Rock pads have better foam and are more durable than the Metolius ones at City Rock. These are the two cheapest pads available here. The rest are Beal, Black Diamond and you can get Ocun pads here as well. I know City Rock is apparently stocking their stuff soon. Their pads are great but will be quite expensive. In terms of renting you can rent from either de Pakhuys or from Alpha Farms. The pads at Alpha Farms are much better but I think you would need to book them for your stay. Hope you have a good trip.

Nick

Jade17

Post by Jade17 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks - sadly Alphafarm will only rent to their residents and last year Thys told us he had stopped renting pads (although I also note the website still says he does). The rates at CityRock are a bit of a rip-off so trying to avoid this if I can.

mountainmailorder

Post by mountainmailorder » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi Mike,

You can buy or rent a boulder pad at Mountain Mail Order or CityROCK. Below is a link to our website with a variety of pads that we stock.
https://www.mountainmailorder.co.za/bou ... lr1jc.html

If you wish to rent a boulder pad it cost R120.00 per day.

If you have any question please feel free to contact me at info@mountainmailorder.co.za

ComebackKid

Post by ComebackKid » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:29 pm

Hey, wait. What happened to the post from Bloc 11?

NickT

Post by NickT » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:03 pm

??? good question

NickT

Post by NickT » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:25 am

So, seeing as Justin either hasn't bothered replying or won't reply.....

It was removed as it was deemed as advertising by Justin. Bloc11 doesn't pay climbza for advertising. I know this because I asked Bloc11 what happened to their post.

It does bring up the question of forum ethics and what sort of code of conduct should be followed within the forum and put in place by the host. For instance, am I able to inform someone that they can rent pads from x-company and y-company, but company x has better pads and better prices (as an example). Would that be deemed as advertising and removed at the discretion of the forum administrator? What is the difference when a company such as Bloc11 simply replies to a post stating what they offer? What does climbza charge for a company to 'advertise' on their forum? Does MMO pay to be able to 'advertise' on the forum? I know they pay to have their banners up on the main page and elsewhere. This all seems to be a bit of a grey area. My personal opinion on the matter is that the forums should be a place of being able to ask questions and get answers. If something comes up where someone asks 'can they rent pads and where' (sticking with this thread but applicable elsewhere too), surely anyone in any capacity (be it an individual like myself or a company that offers the service that is being asked) should be able to reply and say x, y, z are your options or this is the option that we offer, take it or leave it. So the bottom line is that I feel that the removal of the post by Justin is unacceptable and does not fall in line with good ethics of a forum host. That is my opinion and it would be interesting to see what others think.

So to answer the questions asked by this post:
you can rent pads...
1)From City Rock - R120pd. Metolius pads
2)From Bloc11 - R100pd. Mad Rock pads
3) Alpha Excelsior - I can't remember exactly how much but somewhere around R60-80 pd and you can only rent them if you stay there.
4) De Pakhuys apparently doesn't rent anymore. Probably wise as most of the pads were so thin you would hurt yourself falling on them. An old, soft Mad Rock triple does serve as a great mattress for sleeping on though.

You can buy pads...
1) City Rock - an assortment of pads - Metolius, Beal, BD, Evolve, Ocun
2) Bloc11 - Mad Rock pads

That's all the information that I know

mattb595

Post by mattb595 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:10 pm

All about the benjamins baby! And the fact we only have one forum admin and he happens to own the "forum"

I have two pads that im not using at the mo

Mad Rock tripple

Beal Double Air

Pm me a offer :thumleft:

Nic Le Maitre

Post by Nic Le Maitre » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:23 pm

mattb595 wrote:All about the benjamins baby! And the fact we only have one forum admin and he happens to own the "forum"
There are at least four forum admins. Mostly we just delete spam and leave any editorial decisions up to Justin, since after all, it's his site
Happy climbing
Nic