Best small daypack for general use?

Post here for all your gear questions, rants and raves. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using. NOTE: this forum is NOT for gear sales.

lee123

Best small daypack for general use?

Post by lee123 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:58 pm

I am thinking around 20 liters maybe...

Currently I am using some Kway 10l Camelback and it is almost good enough for day hikes, trail running, general physical activity.
What is nice as that as it is small it makes it easy to fit in tight spaces and doesn't snag when descending on fairly steep paths etc. I also have a newish Cape Storm 25l pack and it is basically a piece of crap for hardcore use.

Problems are that 10l is actually too small for a jacket, bladder, headlamp, sunscreen, sunnies, keys, wallets and food. In summer it would be nice to pack in a pair of swimming trunks and a small towel, in winter maybe some rain gear etc. Also It has only one pocket so you risk losing your keys/wallet when filling up your bladder or getting some food out etc.

I have been looking around and haven't seen anything to do the job, I want something fairly small, with multiple pockets including a separate bladder pocket, super strong waterproof material [a lot of packs seem to have this really lightweight material that doesn't last when being scraped through tight spaces, sharpish things pierce easily etc.] and super comfortable straps (including chest strap and waist belt) at around 20l, maybe less.

Does anyone have any good recommendations?

rasmus

Re: Best small daypack for general use?

Post by rasmus » Thu May 25, 2017 7:05 pm

I highly recommend Osprey packs. Got a Talon 22, which is awesome for hiking, tradding and fits so well I also use it for trail running when going long. Osprey is perhaps more expensive than local brands, but that difference is IMO more than made up for by the All Mighty Guarantee. They will fix or replace any Osprey bag anywhere in the world at any time. No receipt needed and no questions asked. I just got two brand new packs after handing in my really, really used and almost ten year old ones. They said they were too much trouble to fix and just gave me two new ones... So now I don't worry about thorns or granite off-widths at all...

Old Smelly

Post by Old Smelly » Fri May 26, 2017 8:25 am

Hmm I was also going to mention that small Osprey Pack - and good points for the fact that you can use it without fear.

Small packs to climb with are often quite a careful choice - as far as I know there are currently ones available from Mammut, DMM and of course Black Diamond.

The small climbing pack from Petzl is popular but you have to decide for yourself if you like it...
Petzl.jpg
Petzl.jpg (51.59 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
I have used a Black Diamond Hollowpoint for years and it has always done the job.

The DMM pack looks really good
Dmm Zenith.jpg
Dmm Zenith.jpg (51.53 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Really, its not that bad...I think it's my shoes...

KaiPF

Post by KaiPF » Fri May 26, 2017 10:18 am

The Osprey Talon 22 is bomber.

Justin

Post by Justin » Fri May 26, 2017 10:33 am

My wife has the Osprey Tempest 30 - it is specified as a Womens pack, but it works for me.
There are two listed here (we have the pink one) - http://www.adventureinc.co.za/tempest-30-219268.html
It's big enough for a sport climbing trip if you really must.
Compacts down nicely for travel. Great for day hikes, also does well for MTB.
You will need to get a rain cover for your pack (very few bags have waterproof material).

If you are hard on your equipment then Osprey is your pack for life :thumright

And (as below) it's great for buildering.
Attachments
buildering_austria.jpg
buildering_austria.jpg (168.77 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
Climb ZA - Administrator
justin@climbing.co.za

Ghaznavid

Post by Ghaznavid » Fri May 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Sadly K-Way discontinued their Urban 20 litre pack - I used mine for day hikes for a long time, but the zips have gone. Technically it was designed for little kids, but it fits adults just fine as well (well, I am not the biggest person around). The best was the day I was walking up Mafadi (SA's highest point) and walked past a large guided group. They were all confused how we were carrying so little even though it was around 10AM and the nearest car park was about 18km away.

I currently use a Hi-Tec 28l Contour Pack - it weighs about the same as my old 20 litre, and 28l is massive for a day trip. The key compartment at the top is fine, and there is a slot for a hydration bladder and a non-sealable internal compartment for some reason. I was briefly semi-tempted to attempt a Drakensberg Grand Traverse with this pack, but it gets a bit uncomfortable above 6kg (to be expected from a pack with no hip belt).
"There is something fundamentally wrong in treating the Earth as if it were a business in liquidation." Herman E Daly

IdratherBeCimbing

Post by IdratherBeCimbing » Fri May 26, 2017 4:50 pm

my suggestion is the Quechua Decathalon Arpenaz which is a 20l pack, its a french brand thats really good bang for your buck they're slowly breaking into the south african market but at R200 off takealot I doubt youre gonna get anything cheaper and itll probably last as long as any other more expensive pack