Limestone crag in Limpopo

For the posting and discussion of Access Issues and Closures for Areas around South Africa.
dirktalma

Limestone crag in Limpopo

Post by dirktalma » Wed May 03, 2017 1:55 pm

Dagse

This weekend I came across these two crags somewhere in the Limpopo province (think Wolkberg). It seems like limestone to me. The second one (in the shade) looked slightly overhanging and in some places vertical. The first one (slanting down to the right) looked more vertical, except for the cave obviously.

I would guess them to be about 30 to 40m in height at their highest point.

Do they look climbable to any of you? Its a 4 hour drive from Pretoria. Aspect: Nr 1 faces NW and nr 2 faces E-NE.
IMG_6595.JPG
IMG_6595.JPG (215.4 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
IMG_6594.JPG
IMG_6594.JPG (110.54 KiB) Viewed 1546 times

dirktalma

Re: Limestone crag in Limpopo

Post by dirktalma » Wed May 03, 2017 1:56 pm

PM me if you need higher resolution photos.
IMG_6600.JPG
IMG_6600.JPG (255.71 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
IMG_6597.JPG
IMG_6597.JPG (75.81 KiB) Viewed 1544 times

Forket

Post by Forket » Wed May 03, 2017 11:09 pm

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Now thats a great find. Well done dear sir!!!! Finally some limestone in the north :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

TeeMee

Post by TeeMee » Wed May 03, 2017 11:30 pm

Hot damn! :hapban This is a good day indeed. Let's get the negotiations underway :>

mokganjetsi

Post by mokganjetsi » Thu May 04, 2017 7:52 am

Where exactly is this? Saw some limestone years ago when driving from Blyde to Phalaborwa - none of it was climbing quality though. This crag looks pretty decent!

dirktalma

Post by dirktalma » Thu May 04, 2017 1:36 pm

I thought it would raise some eyebrows. We'll, lets see what the rock looks like.
The Wolkberg is renowned for its limestone caves. I have been in one of the bigger ones myself.

The area is very rural. I have been biking in the area a few times due to its remoteness. I spotted it on the bike when descending the gravel pass coming down from ------------- Nature reserve.
Its at a place called -----------, next to the -------- river. It should be tribally owned. Its a beautiful area. The river that splits the crags runs for about 50 or 60km from Georges Valley in the North west and it still looks clean like berg water. I couldn't believe how clean it was, with the settlements upstream.

Edit on 16 Jun 2017: Some of the interested parties have decided to remove the details of the location of the crag to encourage us all to work together to establish access. I think its a good idea.

So who's driving up this weekend. I'm studying.

<Removed>

This is what the river area looks like:
IMG_6608 - Compr.JPG
IMG_6608 - Compr.JPG (170.79 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
Last edited by dirktalma on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dirktalma

Post by dirktalma » Thu May 04, 2017 2:08 pm

I believe this is an opportunity to behave in a responsible manner and negotiate first before we walk up to the crag. I think its best to firstly ask the chief or someone for permission just to walk up and have a look (with your eyes and feet). After its decided on the quality, then we should negotiate with the chief for permission to bolt, what the impact (positive and negative) of it will be to their land and community. Remember to consult the chief on where you are allowed to camp. This is how it works and he will probably ask you to camp close to his house. It would be a good idea to embrace this to ensure this venture is fruitful.

I just don't have the time or money to do this, but whoever is willing should get together and firstly speak to the chief. He might live in Mafefe, which is a bit downstream. Might be a great idea to use pictures of Wellington Dome MCSA weekends to show possible financial gains they might get. Neil Margetts, you negotiated access at Makapansgat. Would you be interested in helping out here? Maybe Eddie Harvey?

Luckily its not part of Lekgalameetse Nature reserve, but I believe we should treat this place with respect FROM THE START.

They locals speak a little bit of English, but it would be great to bring someone along who speaks the language. I can ask one of the local farmers what they think the best approach will be and what language it is.

Thats my input, lets see what comes out of this.

Dickie

Hermienmienaklim

Post by Hermienmienaklim » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Hi Dickie,

Im game to explore there, I know some people and can maybe organised to go, growing up in the rural areas... please call me and remember our far north mountain range is still raw... and you know what!!!? thats why we need to go explore! Hear from you soon!

Hermien Venter

Guardian

Post by Guardian » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:30 am

Like that has stopped you until now :lol:
There is nothing more beautiful than a well dressed alpine butterfly.

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:26 am

As a gear supplier, I am willing to sponsor some anchors for the initial routes. Please allow me some notice to arrange stock!
Cheers Nigel
Vertical World Equipment

dirktalma

Post by dirktalma » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Guardian wrote:
Like that has stopped you until now :lol:
Ja nee, dis seker hoekom ek nog swot